Loss of settings following software upgrade

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSATLBA

I've noticed a few comments to the effect that settings have been lost after a car has been in the workshop for new software to be installed.

Is this an inconvenience that can be avoided by saving profiles to a USB stick before the car goes into the workshop and restoring them afterwards?

If so, it has just occurred to me as I write this, surely it should be part of the software upgrade process for the owners settings to be preserved by saving and restoring them rather than the user having to do it. We'd all be going ballistic if we had to re-program all our settings every time we upgraded software on other electronic devices.

When I had my update all my settings were maintained - I think the loss of settings is down to engineers not following the job sheet which I am pretty sure would have take a copy of profiles in it.

If your losing your settings, the techs aren't bothering to save them before they do the update. They should save your profiles to USB stick before doing the update, you shouldn't have to do this for them.

Why can't we, the consumer, save our own settings like we do with every other tech device we own? The car is just a big computer that also rolls around town, so why not?

WoodlandHills said:
Why can't we, the consumer, save our own settings like we do with every other tech device we own? The car is just a big computer that also rolls around town, so why not?
I would agree if the updates were at our discretion and we could choose whether or not to have them but when they are imposed by BMW, whether as a fix or an enhancement, it would be basic good customer service for BMW to minimise the inconvenience to us by saving them and re-instating them.

You can save the settings yourself if you wish - you just stick a usb stick in and export them. My point is that, this is a process that the BMW tech should do regardless, you shouldn't have to do it yourself.

RJSATLBA said:
WoodlandHills said:
I would agree if the updates were at our discretion and we could choose whether or not to have them but when they are imposed by BMW, whether as a fix or an enhancement, it would be basic good customer service for BMW to minimise the inconvenience to us by saving them and re-instating them.

I could not agree with you more. But since that expectation has been going unmet saving settings before dropping off the car for servicing would be a useful defensive measure.

jackt said:
You can save the settings yourself if you wish - you just stick a usb stick in and export them. My point is that, this is a process that the BMW tech should do regardless, you shouldn't have to do it yourself.
Have you tried doing this, does it save all your personal settings and is it a seamless process?

Mine was upgraded recently and some settings were lost while others were retained.

I've noted a few other changes since the upgrade (but they may be imaginary!)

- heating seems much hotter and happy to really blast out
- range seems more sensitive to heating (which may be related to previous item (if they're not both figments of imagination!))
- range prediction seems generally a bit lower (but is the weather cooler?)
- range achieved seems OK but I need to do a good run to really test it
- conditioning triggered by key fob seems to really heat soak the car (previously, it seemed a bit un-noticeable)
- will report on "departure" setting tomorrow; it all seemed a bit random with the first iteration of s/w
- the car in the reversing graphic is a bit darker and demonic.

Any other changes?

Back