Can you vary the charge strength?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

704hov1451

Just became a new owner of a REx after 3.5 years with a Leaf. With the Leaf, you can charge the battery to 80% (recommended for battery life) or 100%. I do not see such options with the i3. Am I missing something?

The computer will only let you use 18.8Kw of the 22Kw battery...it neither charges it to full nor will let you discharge it fully...so, along with the active liquid cooled/heated battery and controls, the i3 is a bit more sophisticated in that area than the Leaf. IOW, let it charge fully, and don't worry about it!

Even on the Leaf, Nissan stopped saying to charge to 80% only starting with the '14 model year.

jelloslug said:
Even on the Leaf, Nissan stopped saying to charge to 80% only starting with the '14 model year.
Leaf had some bad press from heat related problems in places like Arizona on earlier models, and the newer models addressed that...BMW tested in those extremes during development, and I think they got it right, or at least better (time will tell). Throw in the 8-year, 100K mile warranty BMW provides, and at least they think it will work reliably.

Back