how many with zero i3 problems?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
juniorbeep said:
3200 miles no issues... actually saying that... i have a glove box thats a bit of a pain to shut and the cigarette lighter under the dash rattles... :) apart from that all good. Very pleased.

I noticed on my 4 day test drive that the car is full of rattles, the 3rd world pavement in Los Angeles and the omnipresent speed bumps (sleeping policemen) seem to create a constant vibrating noise. It was hard to pin down the source, but sometimes it sounded like the whole car was quaking. I was surprised and it will be interesting to see what it sounds like in three years when the lease ends.

Miles 4600 months 6 problems 0. Rex miles left 14, petrol bought 0, Mind you the driver has made a few mistakes.

I just love it.

Just over 4 weeks and 1,000 miles. Rex fully loaded. No issues except range is not as great as advertised. The most I have gotten is 62 miles electric. I had just checked tire pressure and brought all tires up to 35 psi and now I am getting bit better range. ( all 4 tires were at 28?)

Dri3 said:
Just over 4 weeks and 1,000 miles. Rex fully loaded. No issues except range is not as great as advertised. The most I have gotten is 62 miles electric. I had just checked tire pressure and brought all tires up to 35 psi and now I am getting bit better range. ( all 4 tires were at 28?)

Page 170 of the manual recommends 33 psi front and 41 psi rear. I just went into the garage and mine is at 28psi front and 35psi rear and I drove it home from the dealer not 3 hours ago.
I was concerned about rough ride with the 20's vs the 19's we tested and on the way home tonight I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it rode. No wonder :roll: Tomorrow I will pump them up to recommended pressure and see how it feels then. We went through something similar with our smarts: correct pressure rides harshly and lower pressures seemed to let the rims dent much more easily. We just learned to live with the rough ride and expect we will do the same now.

Driving the i3 from last December, nearly 15k km on it now.
Had quiet some issues with the car.
New engine unit.
New battery pack.
2 Software updates. and ever since it is great!
It has to be noted that this i3 was one of the very first to be produced and shipping to the Netherlands. Issues are solved but I had to miss the car for multiple weeks. after 3 months of owning it, it spend nearly half of it at the BMW garage.
Why these problems occurred is still unclear.

The recent software update required me to miss the car for a full day again, but the upgrades were totally worth it.
Apart from an occasional ''charging error'' (red lights around charger) no issues. The rattling interior is not a issue that I have noticed ever.
Only annoying thing is that the range is always underestimated by the car.. Example: if the range in the battery 100 and the trip is 95 i reach the destination with about 25km left in the battery. (all the time!) This is obviously better than the other way around but still... not reliable.

Zero issues!!!!

I have the Tera Rex and have had the car for 6 weeks and around 500 miles. I really am enjoying the car more than I ever thought possible. It is early fall here and the temperatures are typically in the 40 deg F in the morning to around 65 F in the afternoon and I am getting 91 to 94 miles on a full charge on both state highways and rural driving scenarios. So far I have not used the Rex even once.

Same thing here in Virginia except the weather has ranged from 50F to 80F. My i3 REx has been perfect since delivery on August 11! I have driven the car about 1200 miles including a one-day 215 mile round trip out to the Blue Ridge mountains to pick apples.

I have my BEV since 800km; single problem is the battery capacity: it is 17.6 kWh instead of the specified 18.8 kWh.

All the rest is perfect.

I love it.

Zele1000 said:
I have my BEV since 800km; single problem is the battery capacity: it is 17.6 kWh instead of the specified 18.8 kWh.

All the rest is perfect.

I love it.

How do you know that? Curious as to how it is determined?

I use two methods

1) you can read out SOC and kWh capacity in a hidden menu of the board computer:
On the small display there is a button for trip reset on the left side.
Press and hold this for 10-12 seconds - you are in.
Press through until option 4 "unock", then press and hold for about 4 seconds until "Number"
Your individual number you get by adding up the last 5 digits of your VIN.
Press through to your number, then press and hold again - you are in the menu.
In 13 you find SOC, absolute and momentary battery capacity.

2) perform a long trip and read at the end distance, average consumption and SOC. In my last case I had 123 km, 11.8 kWh/100km and 18%. This gives that 82% of my capacity is = 123*11.8=14.514 kWh, which means that my full capacity is 17.7 kWh

Maybe I'm imagining it, but I think I read somewhere that the consumption figure included charging losses. Wouldn't that explain the difference in your calculated capacity?

Keep in mind that the input voltage first has to be converted into DC by the charger in the car, and then that charger also down-steps some of that energy to recharge the 12vdc battery. Then, the active heating/cooling circuits for the batteries needs to be managed - cooling if they get hot during the charge (or too hot to start) and warming before they actually start to charge as a cold battery is not a great place to try to push electrons. So, while the i3 is pretty efficient for its type, by far, not all of the power going in ends up in the batteries, at least the main traction motor high voltage set. SOme of it just ends up in wasted heat - the ac-dc conversion is never perfectly efficient - some ends up in heat losses.

Out of the 22Kw battery capacity, the computer maintains a buffer both at the top and the bottom that you as a user can't touch. This is to prolong the life of the battery.

Bought my Rex on 10/01/14. Enjoyed it for 18 days then the car wont accept charge, luckily had the Rex to use to get back home from a 170 mile trip. Took it to the dealer and was told it is the "KLE" on board charger and will take another week to fix.

Pretty unhappy with this so far and have sent BMW a formal complaint. A brand new car should not break down after 2 1/2 weeks of use.

Looks like alot of you out there had the same problems. Have you had anymore problems since your KLE has been fixed?

Thanks.

Back