New i3 owner from Virginia

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAZ

:D Very happy new i3 owner. Less than two weeks from first look to picking up my Ionic Silver i3 BEV, this past Friday ((091914), Currently have 200 plus miles and loving it. I'm also a 2012 Prius Plug In owner, but I've lost that loving feeling. I've had my Prius for eighteen months and even with a very limited ten mile EV range, 75% of my 10,800 miles are EV. A lot of work, and I wanted more. Tesla, too big, and too much money, Leaf, too ugly, Volt, 37 miles would be much better, thanks, but no thanks, and I no longer do diesel or premium fuel.

I made the mistake of checking out the local car dealers two weeks ago. I specifically was hoping I would find a i3 on a dealer lot. Not necessarily love at first sight, but I liked what I saw. A week and a half of intensive internet and i3 forum reading and I was sold.

My local dealer, Richmond (VA) BMW, had four i3s available, but I wanted the Ionic Silver BEV, with Driving and Tech package, and DC fast charger. I'm a big wheel fan and I liked the big solid wheels on the Mega World version best, and they'll be super easy to clean. They found one (a mid July build) that met my requirements. Took less than one week to transport here.

I decided to lease my i3, and went with a 2.5 year lease. In just eighteen months, I've seen vast improvements in EV technology since my Jan 2013 Prius purchase. Didn't want to make that mistake again. Once I had all the leasing figures, I was disappointed with the unusually high cost compared to the last two vehicles that I've leased. I voiced my displeasure and Richmond BMW provided me with a "voucher" that greatly reduced my monthly lease payments. Otherwise, I couldn't have justified the cost on a vehicle I wanted, but didn't need. All in all it worked out.

Driving the i3 is a dream, from comfort, quality, outstanding pickup, and especially range. You would have to drive a Prius Plug In to fully understand what a exceptional EV the i3 is. No disrespect towards Toyota and the Prius, I'm still a big fan, but, I've fallen in and out of love within several days.

The Rex vs BEV was a difficult decision. I have a twenty mile daily work commute with Level 2 charging at home and work. The BEV meets all my range requirements with plenty to spare. Added cost, additional weigh to tote around everyday, lower EV mileage range, and expense, made the i3 BEV version, my obvious choice. No disrespect to Rex owners with different needs.

Never owned a BMW, but the i3 seems to be a unlikely BMW model. I've very happy and impressed. My i3 came without Sirius satellite radio which is a must for me. I returned to the dealer to have the software loaded which enabled the sat radio. As I drove onto the lot, they where unloading their first I8, dark gray with a $145,000 MSRP. Interesting car, nice car, but I'm more impressed with my i3. Reality and older age must be a factor.

PiHyA2.jpg

Congrats! Just passed 1k miles on my BEV and I'm still looking for excuses to drive it. I went with mega too because I like the interior best. The wheels have really grown on me despite thinking they were awful in pictures.

brosher said:
Congrats! Just passed 1k miles on my BEV and I'm still looking for excuses to drive it. I went with mega too because I like the interior best. The wheels have really grown on me despite thinking they were awful in pictures.

:)Thanks Brosher. Surprisingly, BMW offers four different sets of wheels for the i3. I think the Mega World wheels look so "electric car" like. The i3 with those wheels looks like something you'd see on the cover of a 1950s era Popular Mechanics magazine. For those that remember the Popular Mechanics magazine.

Fantastic, I am sure you will enjoy it more then your Prius, it is funny how my PIP gets left in the garage now.

Congratulations Enjoy!

What is the smallest number of years anyone has leased the i3?

My 2012 leased Nissan LEAF was wrecked yesterday by a guy running a red light in front of me; I think it is totaled. So, I am looking for either a BMW i3 Rex or a Mercedes B-Class ED to lease asap.

roperld said:
What is the smallest number of years anyone has leased the i3?

My 2012 leased Nissan LEAF was wrecked yesterday by a guy running a red light in front of me; I think it is totaled. So, I am looking for either a BMW i3 Rex or a Mercedes B-Class ED to lease asap.
I did the OwnersChoice w/ Flex (basically the same as a lease except you can get the entire tax credit) for 2 years.

DAZ, congratulations! I also live in the Richmond area (Short Pump) and picked up my i3 REx (pre-ordered) on August 11 from the dealer on West Broad :D. My i3 is Solar Orange, REx, Giga World, Technology and DA package, heated seats. I have about 925 miles on it so far and took a 215-mile round trip last Saturday - the REx is great for my occasional long trip. It joins my 2012 Nissan LEAF in sharing driving duties.

I saw the i8 too - super sweet!

Do you mind sharing the terms of your lease, I am in Richmond and am considering a lease.

Back