No automatic reset of ecopro or ecopro+ after switching off

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwerius

I like to use the ecopro and ecopro+ mode.
However, every time the car is switched off, the mode is automatically reset to comfort.
Each time I start the car, I have to change the mode to ecopro or ecopro+ again.
But sometimes I just forget.

I would like the car to stay in the mode that was last chosen.

I heard from another i3 driver, he also would like this very much.

What are your ideas about this?

Zwerius said:
I like to use the ecopro and ecopro+ mode.
However, every time the car is switched off, the mode is automatically reset to comfort.
Each time I start the car, I have to change the mode to ecopro or ecopro+ again.
But sometimes I just forget.

I would like the car to stay in the mode that was last chosen.

I heard from another i3 driver, he also would like this very much.

What are your ideas about this?

Same here... also I would like to be able to see the range on the app for the different modes. .. currently it only shows for comfort.

I strongly agree. I'm going to wear out that button setting it to Eco Pro or Eco Pro + every time I get into the car!

Your driving mode profile should be the kind of info that gets matched to a key fob and it should include the climate control settings too. I drive in Eco Pro with the a/c in Comfort, that should be part of the profile too. Currently it stays in the memory and I don't want to lose that in any update.

As a general rule leave the settings the way they were when I last turned the car to OFF. How hard is that?

I completely agree that at least, the settings should be saved with the key FOB. Even the headrest positions (with the electric headrests) in my Jag were saved by the key FOBS. It should be the brain because as you lock the car and come back out to it, it should start up that way. Of course if it was hot out when you got home and the ac was on, and now it's morning and cool, then you have to screw with it anyway. Nothings perfect.

It's just a button push. I certainly don't mind a button push. The fact that the car is so fun to drive, I can turn the temp from cold to hot in 2 nanoseconds and there's no %&*^ right leg center console barrier for me to swear at makes me forget about a single button push. Besides I'm guilty of driving in comfort loving bastard mode all the time.. :shock:

I end up changing it to ecopro+ every time I buckle up and would also like the car to save the last drive setting.

My other gripe is with the climate control automatically defaulting to ON (not the A/C but just the first fan speed of the climate control being ON). It's annoying have to turn the fan off every single time I get in the car.

WoodlandHills said:
Your driving mode profile should be the kind of info that gets matched to a key fob and it should include the climate control settings too. I drive in Eco Pro with the a/c in Comfort, that should be part of the profile too. Currently it stays in the memory and I don't want to lose that in any update.

As a general rule leave the settings the way they were when I last turned the car to OFF. How hard is that?

+1!

Yesterday, I had to move my car a few minutes after parking and locking it up. To my surprise, the fan control remained in the off position (as I had left it). I really wish I had paid more attention to the drive mode but I think it also remained in Eco+. Unless this was a one-off glitch, it makes me believe there is some kind of timeout before the car defaults back to Comfort and "fan on".

:) I've driven in EcoPro+ exclusively for the four weeks I've had my i3. SOS on startup. There has to be a better way? I never forget to switch or turn the fan off because I'm always checking my remaining mileage.

Had the opportunity today to pay closer attention to the short cycle restart. This time, the "off time" was minutes (long enough to make a purchase at the local hardware store). Like yesterday, the climate control remembered its position and state from when I turned it off -- in this case, the fan was completely off and stayed that way. However, the driving mode switched back to Comfort from Ecopro+.

Seems like this would be a trivial fix in software. Hope it's coming in an upcoming rev.

I think a lot of those settings 'stick' during the delayed shutdown timer. You'll be able to measure that if you shut the vehicle down but don't open or lock the door...the radio will stay on for awhile and you can still operate the windows. After that delay, things seem to return to their default conditions.

This behavior is not unique to the i3. All recent BMW models with a Driving Experience Switch default to Comfort each time the vehicle starts. Owners on F20 forums complain that they can't set Sport as the default.

I have not seen a definitive explanation of why BMW opted for the behavior. Common speculation is that it has something to do with defaulting to the mode EPA uses for CAFE results.

WoodlandHills said:

Excellent marriage of form and function; I was thinking of putting Eco modes onto shift selector stalk, but having them "keyed" to the fob is much better.

BUMWA said:
WoodlandHills said:

Excellent marriage of form and function; I was thinking of putting Eco modes onto shift selector stalk, but having them "keyed" to the fob is much better.

Anyone tried or trying to code this behaviour ? Would be great if it could be done!!

There should be a way that your preferences could be stored in the car or the key fob. Every time I start up I have so MANY buttons to push. Too ridiculous. First the ON button then the parking brake, then turn off the air, then twice to switch driving mode, then into reverse! That's six things every time I get in the car. Or better yet it should save the last used preferences.
I also found that the Active E had a much simpler way to set the time of charge and the time of preconditioning. Much less complicated and I could change it quickly and easily. It took about 10 seconds to set.

Unless you don't put your seatbelt on, you never need to release the parking brake. IT will release when you hit the go pedal when your seat belt is fastened, but won't if it isn't.

Plan on testing

ICM
Drive mode defaults to Eco Pro on start
3000 → IcmKod_B_InitEco nicht_verbaut (default)
verbaut (new value)

when I get back from Xmas break.

websterize said:
Plan on testing

ICM
Drive mode defaults to Eco Pro on start
3000 → IcmKod_B_InitEco nicht_verbaut (default)
verbaut (new value)

when I get back from Xmas break.
there is no ICM module on i3 (or did I miss something?) the other option (initial following distance) is in SAS module

Thanks for the head-up. I'll update that coding spreadsheet in my sig when back from break. Those are culled from various BMW sites. Some work on the i3, some don't — glad to hear the ACC tractor-beam setting is working!

Back