Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i3atl said:
I'm not sure why there's such resistance to joining FB with what can effectively be an anonymous account, vs joining a forum like this (also a "third party commercial internet organisation"), whose income is also provided by advertisements. There's no upfront fee for either.

When you join FB you pay upfront but not with cash. You hand over your privacy on many levels. You are mined for your interests and your contacts and who knows what else. And, you cop advertising and a whole heap of BS 'friend requests' etc, etc.

When you join this forum, you might get an advert in your face (I don't get any) and that's about it. Maybe there is some minor google analytics going on but Information posted on this site is visible to anyone, there are no secret 'members only' information lockups. Frankly, I despise people who try and put locked gates on the internet.

Can we leave the fb debate and stick to coding in particular the prospect of changing BT to enhanced BT. Has anyone one had a go yet, I know that there are instructions on bimmerfest

I33t said:
When you join FB you pay upfront but not with cash. You hand over your privacy on many levels. You are mined for your interests and your contacts and who knows what else. And, you cop advertising and a whole heap of BS 'friend requests' etc, etc.

Agreed, if you elect to friend anyone or use real info, but if you just create an account with no friends in order to join a group that contains information that's helpful for you (while hiding yourself from searches/etc to prevent those "rogue" friend requests) - it seems that might be worth it.

Either way, I'm sure that all of the info will be duplicated here and elsewhere, eventually.

i3atl said:
I33t said:
Thank you TMsilent. I'm not joining facebook to learn to code my BMW (if I decide to) either.

I have no problem with people joining FB, that is their decision. Locking up information behind a third party commercial internet organisation is pretty dumb though.
It was suggested that they move the content/discussion here or to another forum, but it continued over there for whatever reason.

Either way, I'm not sure why there's such resistance to joining FB with what can effectively be an anonymous account, vs joining a forum like this (also a "third party commercial internet organisation"), whose income is also provided by advertisements. There's no upfront fee for either.

Like many I won’t join Facebook. The so called anonymous account seems difficult to achieve given the way Facebook hides all of the privacy controls. If you could open an account that starts as ABSOLUTELY private then I would join.

MikeS said:
i3atl said:
I33t said:
Thank you TMsilent. I'm not joining facebook to learn to code my BMW (if I decide to) either.

I have no problem with people joining FB, that is their decision. Locking up information behind a third party commercial internet organisation is pretty dumb though.
It was suggested that they move the content/discussion here or to another forum, but it continued over there for whatever reason.

Either way, I'm not sure why there's such resistance to joining FB with what can effectively be an anonymous account, vs joining a forum like this (also a "third party commercial internet organisation"), whose income is also provided by advertisements. There's no upfront fee for either.

Like many I won’t join Facebook. The so called anonymous account seems difficult to achieve given the way Facebook hides all of the privacy controls. If you could open an account that starts as ABSOLUTELY private then I would join.

I have had a facebook account for about 4 years or so and wish I had never joined. Once they get your information to join they link up your contact information with all of you email accounts without your permission, you can't stop it since you have to agree when you join. I for example have one email for use with business and I try to use it for that purpose only. Well facebook eventually figured out and linked all of my email accounts even though I did not tell them about them. I really am not one to plaster my activities all over the internet like this younger generation does on facebook and I only joined because my kids( they are adults now but still think of them as kids) are on it.

I since have used the settings on the privacy/access side and disabled everything possible, but still get unwanted queries from facebook way to often. Plus for some reason they are using the the very email accounts that I wanted to keep private most instead of the one I used to establish the account. They know your ip and when you are connected they have rights to you contacts ect..as well as other info on you computer and smartphone. I totally disabled the facebook app on my phone, but you can't remove it unless you hack you own phone because the phone companies install it and make it a non removable program along with all the other bloat ware they stick you with. Facebook is like cancer I am told if you try to close your account, many say it is better to just disable as much as possible, but keep the account?

Anonymous accounts really, I don't think that will work out to be that way for you over time since facebook snoops in to your privacy information since you have to grant them access to your private data to join.

I33t said:
Take a good look at the very top and bottom of this page, and please explain how this is not a third party commercial internet organization. Since you and I don't own these pages, they are third party. The ads pretty well prove they are commercial. The access is via a web URL, which makes it organized on the internet. Try to edit someone else's post here and tell me it isn't locked up.

Perhaps you have reasonable positions justifying your aversion to Facebook, but you have miserably failed in sharing them with us.

Whatever the real issues are, you might want to be careful that you understand if those issues really exist on Facebook (rather than just rumor) and whether or not they apply here.

I just think that Mark Zuckerberg is a dick and I won't have anything to do with FB as a result. I am well aware of the privacy issues anywhere online though........

mindmachine said:
I have had a facebook account for about 4 years or so and wish I had never joined. Once they get your information to join they link up your contact information with all of you email accounts without your permission, you can't stop it since you have to agree when you join.
When I joined, I was asked for permission to access my contact DB, and I said no. I stayed anonymous for the first few years because of my work. Once I retired, I added a minimal amount of personal information, like my real name, state of residence, university I went to, and not much else. Basically enough that a reasonably close friend would have no problem finding me with high enough confidence it really was me. Until the i3 group, most of my FB activities was just lurking. It was the best way for me to keep up with family and friends who lived on FB, while I rarely posted anything. Since the i3 group is private, and my postings there do not get automatically shared with my other FB "friends", I have become more active on FB. It is where I have learned the most about my i3. It is where I get useful information the quickest, often sharing it here after I see it there.
I since have used the settings on the privacy/access side and disabled everything possible, but still get unwanted queries from facebook way to often. Plus for some reason they are using the the very email accounts that I wanted to keep private most instead of the one I used to establish the account. They know your ip and when you are connected they have rights to you contacts ect..as well as other info on you computer and smartphone.
I think you are quite wrong about this. FB privacy settings are reachable, and reasonably complete, even if the default is much less privacy than you and I would like. It does, however, take some patience to understand the multitude of privacy options, and to insure you cover all that you want to cover.

Google seems to be the worst of the privacy snoops, but even they are pretty open about it. I still use lots of Google SW, but for the few I use that require me to be logged into my Google account, I do it from a sandbox (guest user account) I set up on my computer, and make sure that sandbox is deleted when that app is done. While I know Google is active when you are logged into anything Google, I do not believe Facebook is anywhere near as pervasive on unrelated activities.

i3Alan said:
I33t said:
Locking up information behind a third party commercial internet organisation is pretty dumb though.
Take a good look at the very top and bottom of this page, and please explain how this is not a third party commercial internet organization. Since you and I don't own these pages, they are third party. The ads pretty well prove they are commercial. The access is via a web URL, which makes it organized on the internet. Try to edit someone else's post here and tell me it isn't locked up.

I'm not suggesting that this site isn't a third party site, I'm suggesting that this site is not invading my privacy any more than any other standard web site or forum. FB is nothing like this forum or any other forum. FB invades people's privacy and when you join you are required to accept that invasion.

Regarding data being locked up, why on earth would I want to edit someone elses posts? You have to be fresh out of ideas to even suggest that. My point is that the data in the i3 FB group is locked up, not because FB locks it up, but because the group decided to lock it up. Several links have been posted here, and this is what you get when you click:

image.jpg

Access to information shared is locked up by the group. Dumb.
You can post a link to any thread on this site to a non member and they can read it. Smart.

It's also possible to lock sections of a forum or all of it, so this is not a complaint about FB it's a complaint about people wanting to create pseudo secret societies on the internet. If you don't get the irony of people giving away all their privacy to FB and then creating a private FB group then LOL.

DeJay58 said:
Is this a Fb or a coding discussion?

Fair point. I think the FB discussion has ended, people have made their points.

Lets get back to coding. If anyone wants to discuss FB, make a new topic.

I33t said:
My point is that the data in the i3 FB group is locked up, not because FB locks it up, but because the group decided to lock it up. Several links have been posted here, and this is what you get when you click:

Access to information shared is locked up by the group. Dumb.
You can post a link to any thread on this site to a non member and they can read it. Smart.

It's also possible to lock sections of a forum or all of it, so this is not a complaint about FB it's a complaint about people wanting to create pseudo secret societies on the internet. If you don't get the irony of people giving away all their privacy to FB and then creating a private FB group then LOL.

I really don't care to continue the FB discussion, but since you guys keep posting information that's incorrect or misleading that might turn other people away from such a great resource for the i3, it seems like it needs to be clarified. There's no "secret society" in regard to the i3 group on Facebook - anyone who has a FB account can join, no one gets denied. The reason you can't see the posts is because the group is set to "Closed" so that all the info we post/discuss about the i3 doesn't end up in our news feed for all of our friends/family to see. As soon as you join the group, you can see all of the info in it.

FWIW, there is another group setting called "Secret" for groups that don't want to be seen/found, but that's not the one that's in use for this group, and as I said - anyone who wants to join can join.

Please discuss FaceBook pros and cons in the topic I created for it:

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1706

Coding guys, sorry for the interruption, hope you can code in peace now! :)

Getting back to the subject at hand, does anybody have any info about the location of the coding registers for the delay in powering down the media system after the car is shut off? After I power down my i3, the media system takes about 6 or 8 minutes to shut down. I'd like to change that to immediate.

Reason: I rarely listen to music or the radio, I almost always listen to podcasts. So before I leave the car I either have to explicitly shut down the podcast, explicitly turn off the media system, or take my phone with me. Otherwise, when I return to the car I have to remember what podcast I was listening to, fire it up, and hunt backwards to find the point where I left the car.

Yet another example where BMW seemingly subcontracted the iDrive UI development to a bunch of Junior High School kids who never drove a car before. DUMB that the car itself shuts down as soon as the driver gets out (thus making checking your mailbox on the way out much more complicated than it needs to be) but not quite as dumb as delaying media shutdown for X minutes and not giving the driver a setting to change "X" in the iDrive.

TMSsilent said:
Getting back to the subject at hand, does anybody have any info about the location of the coding registers for the delay in powering down the media system after the car is shut off? After I power down my i3, the media system takes about 6 or 8 minutes to shut down. I'd like to change that to immediate.

Reason: I rarely listen to music or the radio, I almost always listen to podcasts. So before I leave the car I either have to explicitly shut down the podcast, explicitly turn off the media system, or take my phone with me. Otherwise, when I return to the car I have to remember what podcast I was listening to, fire it up, and hunt backwards to find the point where I left the car.

Yet another example where BMW seemingly subcontracted the iDrive UI development to a bunch of Junior High School kids who never drove a car before. DUMB that the car itself shuts down as soon as the driver gets out (thus making checking your mailbox on the way out much more complicated than it needs to be) but not quite as dumb as delaying media shutdown for X minutes and not giving the driver a setting to change "X" in the iDrive.

In the meantime, maybe you can just press start/stop twice to shut it off immediately each time you get out? That's what I do if I don't want the content to continue playing.

I haven't heard of this value being available through coding, but then again the fact that the entertainment system stays on seems to bother people on this forum/i3 owners more than any other chassis/owner's group I've observed. In other words, it's probably in there, but people haven't looked for it yet.

My ICE BMW operates exactly the same way. Just push the start button a second time OR lock the car, and it shuts things down completely (well, as complete as any car gets these days!).

Hmmm. I tried clicking START/STOP twice as per your suggestions. This did not have the desired result, it simply turned the car off and then back on again.

WoodlandHills said:
I find that I have to have my seat belt unbuckled to get the car to shut off with the two presses.

No, the seat belt is irrelevant with regard to this. Just be sure your foot is off the brake.

Back