My blog post on extended test drive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1637

Hi everyone :D -

Below is a link to my blog post on my extended test drive. My focus was really on using the car for a family. We can talk about options, looks, price all day (and so can Car and Driver, Edmunds.com, etc)...but my key aspect was the practicality of hauling around my toddler twins. If anything it would be great to hear opinions of those who own the car. I really like this car, but it seems that this car just can't be for me...at least for another 1-2 years.

http://homeenergyefficient.blogspot.com/2014/12/bmw-i3-rex-extended-test-drive.html

Happy reading.

Read your review. Completely different perspective than my own seeing that I have no children and likely never will.

I don't care what anyone says, the i3 is not a four-door in the traditional sense. Much better to think of it as a two plus set up. Personally, I love the doors. They make it really easy to toss my bag, jacket, etc. in the rear. Much easier than with the 4-door E90 in fact. Every time I read a review that disses the doors, I just shake my head and pity the writer trapped by conventional thinking. (Not you; your take seemed fair.) Keep in mind that in the six months I've had the car, I've put people in the back maybe four times whereas my bag goes back there every day.

So I agree with your conclusion that the i3 isn't for your situation. But the flip side is that if BMW had enlarged it to work for your circumstances, I probably wouldn't be interested.

To me the i3 is the closest to a motorcycle I'll ever get. light, fast, nimble, cheap to drive yet safe and enough space to get me home with groceries.

When I want to haul a load I rent a uhaul truck.

Quick thoughts...
Don't get me wrong. I like the doors...quirky. But if the doorway was just a little bit wider near the seat...or if the rear seats could move fwd temporarily (place kids in, move back), it would be gold. I don't really need to haul loads (non people), but useful nevertheless. Hauling adults is a non issue: easy to get in and out if I don't have to carry you. ;-p

When our son was in the rear-facing seat, even in our X5 (and my M3 coupe) we virtually always put him in the seat then snapped the seat into the car. Maybe this would help with the rear seat access issue in the i3?

Also, regarding your stroller fitment, we have a Britax B-Ready, which can carry a 2nd seat, and it fits in the trunk area perfectly with one wheel removed.

Back