BMW Tire & Wheel Protection

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisch70

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone optioned for the BMW Tire and Wheel Protection? It was offered to us for $1,395 for 5 years and I took it, knowing we can cancel anytime within the first 30 days. The dealer sold us on how expensive tires and rims are and given the smaller wheels, rims are more sensitive to pot holes and bigger size tires. Sounded logic, but after checking tire rack, it looks like front and back tire run for around $135 to $142 per tire and I don't think it is such a good investment from a price/benefit standpoint versus peace in mind. I think we were also told we can't go shorter on the years, as we are currently not planning on keeping the car for five years.

What did everybody else do and anyone already needed to replace a tire or wheel at what costs.

At this point, I am 99.9% certain to cancel it, but just wanted to listen to the community of I3 owners first.

Cheers,

PS: i3 rex with mega

Is this damage only protection?

If so, I don't think it's worthwhile. You can buy a bunch of tyres for that price and surely wheels would be covered under your insurance?

If it's damage and wear, then maybe it would be a better deal depending on expected mileage.

I would cancel it. The skinny tires are more likely to find the bottom of potholes, but if you drive around them you can save a lot of hassle and $$$.

Aside from that, the tires/wheels on the i3 are no more likely to sustain damage than any other 19/20" combo, and the tires are less expensive than any other tires (for other BMWs) I've needed to replace in those diameters.

One other note, all of the i3 wheels are forged, so it's unlikely that you'll damage them unless there's a major impact or off-road excursion.

chrisch70 said:
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone optioned for the BMW Tire and Wheel Protection? It was offered to us for $1,395 for 5 years and I took it, knowing we can cancel anytime within the first 30 days. The dealer sold us on how expensive tires and rims are and given the smaller wheels, rims are more sensitive to pot holes and bigger size tires. Sounded logic, but after checking tire rack, it looks like front and back tire run for around $135 to $142 per tire and I don't think it is such a good investment from a price/benefit standpoint versus peace in mind. I think we were also told we can't go shorter on the years, as we are currently not planning on keeping the car for five years.

What did everybody else do and anyone already needed to replace a tire or wheel at what costs.

At this point, I am 99.9% certain to cancel it, but just wanted to listen to the community of I3 owners first.

Cheers,

PS: i3 rex with mega

Think about how many cars you have owned and how many times you have damaged a tire or wheel and then decide if it is worthwhile based on your past experience. I personally never bite on this type of insurance and over the years I have saved tens of thousands of dollars. I have never damaged a wheel and only once damaged a tire and I am 67 years old. I also don't bite on the key fob insurance either, same story way ahead in dollars saved. I figure unless you are accident prone you should save enough to pay for it yourself if on the rare occasion something does happen.

chrisch70 said:
Hi all,
Just wanted to see if anyone optioned for the BMW Tire and Wheel Protection? It was offered to us for $1,395 for 5 years and I took it, knowing we can cancel anytime within the first 30 days. The dealer sold us on how expensive tires and rims are and given the smaller wheels, rims are more sensitive to pot holes and bigger size tires.

At one point in the sales process, the financial manager told us that the run-flat tires on an i3 can cost $400 each, which seems a bit exaggerated. We haven't had flats on any of our vehicles for years, so we turned down the coverage. When I talked about it later with my wife, she said, "If we aren't able to afford the damage and wear costs at the end of the lease, we will have bigger problems in our life and won't have any business having a luxury car." She's pretty smart.

pegli said:
At one point in the sales process, the financial manager told us that the run-flat tires on an i3 can cost $400 each, which seems a bit exaggerated.
Not only is it exaggerated, but it is not true! The i3 does not have run-flat tires. TireRack lists the OEM tires at $135-$153 depending on size, plus shipping. So I think the financial manager was either misinformed or trying to scare you into buying this expensive insurance. I heard a similar insurance sales pitch including a cracked BMW (but not i3) wheel being rolled out to show what could happen on our pothole-infested roads, but I, too, declined.

Back