Buyer's Remorse - Range Disappointments Continue

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeffj said:
you need your VIN to unlock the rest of the codes. Begin by holding down the button on the side of the control console for 10=15 seconds until a menu comes up. I think the car has to be on to do this.

once the menu show up, press the button quickly to show the next menu choice. Hold the button when its showing a menu choice to select that item. You can get your VIN by doing this (choice 3 on menu item 1). Write down the VIN (its only the last 7 digits of the VIN that is shown, btw). You add up the last 5 digits to get your unlock code. Mine is 28.

This is now where its gets clumsy. The only way to exit a menu choice that I've found is to turn the car off and on again.

With the VIN unlock code, get the main menu back again and go to choice 10. Select choice 10 by holding the button. It will then ask for the unlock code. Enter your code by repeatedly pressing the button until you get to your code value. Long press once you've entered your code value.

You'll then see an expanded menu (e.g. main choices of 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, etc)
To see your battery capacity, press the selector until choice 13 shows up and then long press. You'll then see the menu choice 13 sub-menu. Click through choices until you get to choice 8 (e.g. 13.08) and long press. It will show your max battery capacity.

Again, I don't know how to exit from a choice other than turning the car off and on. And then you have to re-enter the unlock code (menu choice 10) to get the expanded menu to show up again)

Thanks for that !

Bill

Im monitoring my % charge at the moment (I have a REX) and typically see 0.5% drop if I shut down and then return to the car 1hr later. In addition, just monitored the charge on a very short (less than ¾ mile, mostly downhill, journey and I dropped 1.5%!! Seems crazy.

MikeS said:
Im monitoring my % charge at the moment (I have a REX) and typically see 5% drop if I shut down and then return to the car 1hr later. In addition, just monitored the charge on a very short (less than ¾ mile, mostly downhill, journey and I dropped 1.5%!! Seems crazy.

I've seen the % drop when left as well.

What happens if you're running on REx (and battery at, say, 5%) and you park up and lose 5%? Does the REx just go mental trying whack charge into the battery or is there some charge state where the REx won't play?

Have to say I've not measured the % drop myself - just noticed it a couple of times but mentally wrote it off as insignificant.

I've never looked at or for this drop so I've just tried it. 21.5% when we returned an hour ago, 21.5% now. But the i3 is in an attached garage so if it's a battery cooling as I suspect effect I might not experience it.

Back