My Owner's Choice deal in Houston, TX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandesign

I found it very helpful to read what deals others were getting, so here's the deal I got when I bought my 2014 i3 BEV from a Houston, TX dealer on February 21, 2015:

Owner's Choice
24 months / 10,000 miles per year
2.99% APR

MSRP: $51,650
Dealer discount: $7,370 (14.27% off)
USAA discount: $500
Selling price: $43,780
6.25% sales tax: $2,736.25
0.2142% dealer inventory tax: $93.78*
Deputy fee: $5
Doc fee: $149
E-Tag fee: $5
Inspection: $23.75
License: $52.75
Road and bridge fee: $11.50
Title: $33
Total: $46,890.03

Down payment: $14,348
24 monthly payments of $82.93
Total amount paid over 24 months: $16,338.32

Federal EV tax credit: -$7,500
Texas state EV rebate: -$2,500

Total cost over 24 months: $6,338.32
Monthly cost: $264.10

Residual value: 63%
Balloon payment: $32,539.50

The finance charge (the total amount the credit will cost me) comes to $1,987.79. In addition, had I bought instead of financing, the USAA discount would have been $1,000 instead of $500. So for less than $2,500, I have the security of knowing I can return the car in 2 years without having to worry about its value decreasing. To me, this was worth it to finance instead of just buying it.

This deal was reached after several weeks of negotiation and comparing offers across many dealerships in Texas. If the dealers are to believed, it seems BMW allocates additional incentives to some specific cars but not others. Several dealers could not give me a good price on the i3 I initially inquired about, but could offer deals on other i3s. In the case of the one I bought, it had been designated a dealer demo vehicle, which meant it was to be used for extended test drives, but it had not yet been used for that purpose by the time I bought it.

Another reason incentives might exist on a specific car is if it has been on the lot awhile. To find these, look for a smaller number in the last 7 characters of the VIN.

Be aware that some dealers may "punch" a car in their inventory (translation: report it to BMW as sold before it's actually sold) in order to capture some time-sensitive incentive. One dealer revealed to me (after weeks of negotiation) that a car I was inquiring about had already been punched, and that therefore additional discounts (like my USAA discount) could not be applied. It's also important to understand that the car's warranty begins the date it's punched, so you may be losing months of warranty if you buy a punched car. On the other hand, you may not care, if you're doing a lease or Owner's Choice financing with a term shorter than the 4-year warranty and don't plan to keep the car after that.

*The dealer inventory tax is supposed to be paid by the dealership, not the buyer. I requested removal of the dealer inventory tax, or an additional $100 discount off the selling price; the dealer gave me the latter.

This was excellent, thanks for sharing.

I am looking to do an OC deal as well. But unfortunately PA dealers cannot write OC deals. Does anyone know if I purchase the car from a nearby state (NJ), can they do an OC deal for a PA resident?

Ryandesign:
Did you pay an acquisition fee? And will you pay a disposition fee if you turn your car in with OC deals?

I have OC w/FLEX, and I owe the car, $350 (the disposition fee), and $7500 (my tax rebate) to satisfy the balloon payment and be free of the contract.

Lectro said:
Did you pay an acquisition fee? And will you pay a disposition fee if you turn your car in with OC deals?

I believe acquisition fees are for leases; there was no acquisition fee with my Owner's Choice financing. Yes, there will be a $350 disposition fee at the end, but I've heard that if I decide to get another BMW at that time the disposition fee gets waived, so that might happen.

Thanks Ryan. Nice to see info from a fellow Texan to get an idea of what dealers are doing here. Of course we are in Dallas so it is a bit different, but probably similar. I have only seen two i3s in the wild here to date. Will be in the market the latter half of this year and the i3 is "on the list" when our Volt's lease is up.

Back