First day and loving it

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

Picked up our REx model today. This is such an impressive car.

One thing I've noticed though is the very direct and (almost) over-precise steering. I did do 3 lengthy test drives in REx models, but never noticed this to the same extend back in November. Correct tyre pressure could be one explanation, run-in period another.

I will get used to it eventually, I'm sure. Just wondered whether anybody on here knows if something was changed.

Congratulations psquared - get my Rex tomorrow ! plus you raise an other interesting point, is there a run period? not in the traditional sense for an ICE vehicle where you go easy while the vehicle is tight, but do BMW recommend anything for the Rex model specifically?

PluviaPlumbum said:
Congratulations psquared - get my Rex tomorrow ! plus you raise an other interesting point, is there a run period? not in the traditional sense for an ICE vehicle where you go easy while the vehicle is tight, but do BMW recommend anything for the Rex model specifically?
I wasn't told about a run in period so just drove it like I stole it and am now over 4200 miles with about 300 on the Rex, including one round trip of 260 miles. The steering is very "direct" and my wife sometimes complains that I nearly break her neck, but I think that is more a feature of electric steering. It does also make it a bit difficult and twitchy on the motorway (freeway for out US cousins) but otherwise you more or less get used to it - until you get back into an ICE car!

The Owner's Manual says there is a break-in period: 200mi/300km for the tires to achieve full traction, 300mi/500km for the brakes to achieve full braking ability (assuming you use the brakes at all).

I guess that is normal when you change tyres or pads anyway ! Don't intend to 'drive like I stole it' as I like a clean licence and will be looking to max the economy; but not to the extent of sitting in a cold car with gloves and a Coat on ;)

The quality of the bearings used is quite good these days, but most of them do become smoother after some run-in time. You don't have to do anything about it, but you might notice a slight improvement after a few thousand miles. Because it happens so slowly, without instrumenting it, you probably couldn't tell.

jadnashuanh said:
The quality of the bearings used is quite good these days, but most of them do become smoother after some run-in time. You don't have to do anything about it, but you might notice a slight improvement after a few thousand miles. Because it happens so slowly, without instrumenting it, you probably couldn't tell.

Thanks. I checked tyre pressure today and it was fine. As I said, I am sure I'll get used to it.

Did around 80 miles yesterday, I did turn on the Rex on the motorway mainly to see if I could hear it!
One unexpected item I discovered was the fold out coat hooks, I was thinking that these were missing off the base interior when I gave the plastic square a push. :oops:
Planning a longer trip for the weekend and will see if IKEA Warrington has a functioning Combo charger.

Also saw another i3 in the wild today when on the school run.

^One unexpected item I discovered was the fold out coat hooks, I was thinking that these were missing off the base interior when I gave the plastic square a push.

one of my few complaints - how do you hang up a load of dry cleaning

getakey said:
^One unexpected item I discovered was the fold out coat hooks, I was thinking that these were missing off the base interior when I gave the plastic square a push.

one of my few complaints - how do you hang up a load of dry cleaning
Get one of those bars with hooks on both ends for attaching to the coat hooks.

Quick remark re the front lights. I'm so glad that I didn't go for the LEDs, as the standard lights are absolutely sufficient. There's been quite a lot of bad feedback on the standard lights, which I find hard to understand. Obviously, YMMV.

I have had my I3 for nearly 2 weeks and am loving it. Completely new way driving and generally I am well within the range so can have seats heating and cabin warm. Opted not to have the Rex model so have to think about my journey. hoping to have greater distance capability in the summer.

Back