Tested takes the i3 for a spin, park assist causes a bump!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudderham

My i3 REX is due in 3 days time (whoop!), so I'm busy browsing the web for the latest videos. Turns out Tested took the i3 for a spin last week and posted a 21 min video. All great, except the segment where the park assist bumps into a wall/curb, I'm not sure:
https://youtu.be/EgKshqhqNQE?t=19m8s
Frightening stuff! Glad I didn't opt for Park Assist on my model. Anyway the rest of the video makes for a good watch, there's some nice footage of them testing steep hills, speed on the freeway etc.

You haven't listed your location in your profile (please do), but if you're in the U.K., can you order the rear-facing camera separately or is it available only as part of the Parking Package as in the U.S.? My i3 is my first car with a rear-facing camera, and I would not buy a car in the future without one even though I never use the self-parking feature.

The wife tested out the Park Assist during our Encore visit and it managed to hit the curb both times. I think they need to update the software b/c that is not acceptable. Part of the beauty of having the car parallel park itself is to prevent human error is scraping up the rims. If the automation will does that then what do we need Park Assist for?

Back