i Remote on Apple Watch

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumbledotcom

I'm pleasantly surprised by the i Remote app on Apple Watch. It seems to work better than on the phone if for no other reason that you don't have to enter a PIN/Touch ID each time you go to the app. The smaller screen design seems to make more sense as well; the buttons are larger and more clearly labeled for instance. I particularly like the Glances screen, shown here, since it packs the info I care about most into one view.

It seems to be a bit temperamental with me - can't seem to see any consistency with when it refreshes the data and it is often several hours old. Not sure if it just doesn't bother updating when there isn't any change, or if there is some setting that needs to be set. Not sure if it is related, but also the past couple of times I have opened the app on my phone it has timed out my login and I need to re-enter my username/password and set a new PIN. This also seems to reset my units too as it reverts to km rather than miles for range?

My experience indicates that the car only updates the status when something changes. IOW, it is not a periodic heartbeat unless the vehicle is running.

Yeah just been looking again at the app and you are right it only updates when something has changed, however since getting the Apple Watch (or perhaps just since the most recent update), the main phone app keeps timing out my login, which results in the Apple Watch being unable to update its status - I think this is what was confusing me. This means that frequently the Watch app will give completely out of date information and the only way to correct it is to open my phone app, re-enter my connected drive login information and get a new update.

Previously the iPhone app would remain logged in indefinitely, only requiring a PIN or TouchID to unlock it, however now I am frequently getting greeted with a login screen telling me "Session time-out. Please log in again." I am going to try deleting and reloading the app to see if that helps.

[Edit] Just logged onto the connected drive website and it has asked me a whole load of new information like a new email which it had never done before. Perhaps there has been a back end change which has altered the login behaviour and perhaps that was triggering the session time outs. I have now updated the information on the connected drive website so will see if that corrects this logging out issue.

I found that even with the iPhone app the screen does not always update, but you can use the screen drag down/snap back feature to refresh the information. (as opposed to closing and opening the app or logging out and back in) Maybe this feature also works on the watch?

Well despite re entering the details on the main connected drive website and deleting & reinstalling the app, I have just now checked the watch glance/app and they were both still showing the old update from around midnight when it had completed charging (I have since driven to work). Sure enough when I checked the iPhone app I was greeted with the session time out message again. Is anyone else getting this? Is it perhaps just limited to those using the watch app too?

Happened to me a couple of times after the phone app updated automatically. I deleted the app and its data (watch app deletes automatically in sync with phone) then downloaded a new copy. Hasn't reoccured.

I would like to be able to tell the car to pre-condition in 1 hour/ 2hour/ 3 hour etc. This would save having to enter the exact departure time and date each time. This would be even more useful via the watch perhaps?

stumbledotcom said:
I'm pleasantly surprised by the i Remote app on Apple Watch. It seems to work better than on the phone if for no other reason that you don't have to enter a PIN/Touch ID each time you go to the app. The smaller screen design seems to make more sense as well; the buttons are larger and more clearly labeled for instance. I particularly like the Glances screen, shown here, since it packs the info I care about most into one view.

yea, i really hate having to re enter the pin every 20 seconds

jadnashuanh said:
My experience indicates that the car only updates the status when something changes. IOW, it is not a periodic heartbeat unless the vehicle is running.

thats how my android phone behaves

i run the bluestacks app simulator on my home office pc and it always updates in real time

i wish the phone app would also update in real time

Back