Lost miles

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean that you have lost range compared to the same conditions one year ago? Have the temps this year been similar to those when you got your car? What sort of driving do you usually do: long commutes, around town, other? How much charge do you regularly put into the car in a session?

All of this would be helpful to compare apples to apples and allow the forum to help out.

When I got the car at first after full charge overnight the read out would be around 100+/- now after overnight charge will not go by 71+/- I work oversea so rely only been on the road fr 6 months

You should not depend on the range guesstimate which can change drastically based on many factors, including firmware updates which could (have?) changed the guesstimate algorithms. Instead, you should track distance driven per kWh consumed under identical driving conditions (not easy). Or maybe the total battery capacity as reported in the (secret) service menu is reliable enough to determine whether battery pack capacity has been lost (anyone know?).

That's interesting, do you keep the car plugged in when you are away at work? There have been some posts here about long term storage and battery life. Not much hard data yet though AFAIK.

I took the car out the other day after a full charge overnight and as usual 71+/- on the dash drove up to the city and back all in ecopro+ when I got back home I had driven around 54 miles on the trip computer and had 17 miles left on the dash all in my original 71miles I started off with.
The guy in the BMW showroom has said to me that 71 mle range was probably a more realistic average this after the original sales rep selling me on 95-100 average

JA04DEV said:
The guy in the BMW showroom has said to me that 71 mle range was probably a more realistic average this after the original sales rep selling me on 95-100 average

He is probably correct, I drive in Comfort exclusively and my range is around 64/65 after a full charge. In my case the Guess-o-Meter is pretty close to being accurate.

What kind of efficiency are you driving at? You can easily find this out by using the trip computer. It shows your mi/kWh. If you reset it after you get a full charge, you will see an average mi/kWh for your travels on that charge (don't have it automatically reset). Assuming the nominal 18.8 kWh capacity, here is the range that you should expect for various readings:
3.0 mi/kWh -> 56.4 miles of range
3.2 mi/kWh -> 60.16 miles of range
3.4 mi/kWh -> 63.92
3.6 mi/kWh -> 67.68
3.8 mi/kWh -> 71.44
4.0 mi/kWh -> 75.2
4.2 mi/kWh -> 78.96
4.4 mi/kWh -> 82.72
4.6 mi/kWh -> 86.48
4.8 mi/kWh -> 90.24
5.0 mi/kWh -> 94

The nominal efficiency of the i3 REx is ~3.8 mi/kWh, showing a range of ~72 miles (per the EPA). The BEV clocks in at 4.3 for the EPA range of 81

You can have a huge impact on your efficiency based on the way you drive, hills, aggressive stopping with the brakes, etc. Obviously cabin comfort (heating and cooling) also take away from range.

Cheers for that. You say after a full charge you are showing 64-65?? In comfort I am showing 52-54 I try and drive as efficiently as possible but still think their is something not right and would be happier if I seen the original 100 on the screen

JA04DEV said:
Cheers for that. You say after a full charge you are showing 64-65?? In comfort I am showing 52-54 I try and drive as efficiently as possible but still think their is something not right and would be happier if I seen the original 100 on the screen

Hi.. after 1 year of ownership and 16000 miles my average is 4.1 miles per kwh with an average range of 80 miles..

The answer to the question about how you store your i3 while you're away might be important. My i3 is currently in storage for ~5 months. I stored it with ~55% SOC on the traction battery and disconnected the 12 v. battery. We'll see how it responds at the end of September when I take it out of storage. I have done the same things with a previous BEV which didn't appear to suffer as a result, so I expect our i3 to be fine.

But I'm not so confident about leaving an i3 plugged in to an EVSE continually during long-time storage which is what BMW recommends. Is that what you have done?

Back