Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The REx's speed depends on current load and (I think) battery state. Lower loads, it slows down, higher loads, it speeds up. But, it doesn't really go to 'idle', ever. There needs to be some critical SOC or load for the REx to turn on. Often, stopped is not one of them.

If I install this "update" here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/connected_drive_services/mobile_devices/bluetooth_software_update.html

Will this update interfere with the I-Step or any of the ESYS related coding components of the car?

Nope. Phone/Entertainment system updates are user installable via the USB port in the car.

E-Sys coding is for drive/motor/body controls.

Quick question to enable MKV videos on my screen is coding enough or do I have to buy the inMotion software???

Jaypi said:
Quick question to enable MKV videos on my screen is coding enough or do I have to buy the inMotion software???

To play videos all you need is to change the following settings in HU_NBT (if you have professional navigation) or HU_ENTRYNAV (if you have business navigation):

ENT_CODEC_VCD: nicht_aktiv -> aktiv
ENT_CODEC_XVID: nicht_aktiv -> aktiv
ENT_MC_VIDEO_SUPPORT: nicht_aktiv -> aktiv
VIDEO_HANDBRAKE: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv
VIDEO_SPEEDLOCK_CONDITION: handbrake_or_gearbox_p -> none
SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MAX: 00 -> FF
SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MIN: 00 -> FF

API_USB_VIDEO: none -> both

I do not know if videos using an mkv container will work. I successfully played baseline x264 videos in an m4v file.

Is the general consensus still to not have the dealership update the software if we want to maintain our ability to code?

What do the latest updates address? Are they anything related at all to range or energy usage?

kmoy2002 said:
Is the general consensus still to not have the dealership update the software if we want to maintain our ability to code?

It is possible to code the car even after the March 2015 update, you just need some extra CAFD and FAFP data files.

kmoy2002 said:
What do the latest updates address? Are they anything related at all to range or energy usage?

The March 2015 update adds the possibility to display the state of charge on the kombi screen. I'm not BMW so I don't know what else they might have included.

ryandesign said:
kmoy2002 said:

It is possible to code the car even after the March 2015 update, you just need some extra CAFD and FAFP data files.

kmoy2002 said:

The March 2015 update adds the possibility to display the state of charge on the kombi screen. I'm not BMW so I don't know what else they might have included.

i don't think there will ever be a software update that will increase range that will be a physical hardware thing (bigger battery)

ryandesign said:
Jaypi said:

To play videos all you need is to change the following settings in HU_NBT (if you have professional navigation) or HU_ENTRYNAV (if you have business navigation):

I do not know if videos using an mkv container will work. I successfully played baseline x264 videos in an m4v file.

also remember you need enhanced Bluetooth for the video option to work if its not in your FA you need to add it.

busaman said:
ryandesign said:
Jaypi said:

also remember you need enhanced Bluetooth for the video option to work if its not in your FA you need to add it.

It worked without changing the FA - I don't even have that option (Those values you have to change don't appear for me)

Bunter said:
What does FA stand for please?

According to a BMW coding glossary I found on another site, it stands for "Fahrzeug-Auftrag (German for Vehicle Order)". It goes on to say that "FA is like a single string that tells the car everthing that it came with from the factory. More advanced users can change this but not really needed." I take this to mean that the car's software knows how to do everything, even things you did not order with the car, or things that are not even orderable in your region, and that by changing the FA, you can make the car do things that were previously locked out.

Anyone want to attempt to find (and disable) the frunk bong? When you pop the hatch, no bong, when you open either door, no bong, when you open the charging flap no bong, when you open the REx fuel filler flap (AKA Freedom Flap!) no bong, why is there a bong for the frunk? :oops:

Bunter said:
Thanks for that. That seems to imply that if you didn't order enhanced bluetooth that you can code it in. Is that correct?

Bill

i think that is the case but the hardware required is professional navigation.

busaman said:
Bunter said:
Thanks for that. That seems to imply that if you didn't order enhanced bluetooth that you can code it in. Is that correct?

Bill

i think that is the case but the hardware required is professional navigation.
Thanks, I have the Pro Nav but not the enhanced bluetooth, so it's quite interesting.

Bill

imolazhp said:
Anyone want to attempt to find (and disable) the frunk bong? When you pop the hatch, no bong, when you open either door, no bong, when you open the charging flap no bong, when you open the REx fuel filler flap (AKA Freedom Flap!) no bong, why is there a bong for the frunk? :oops:

Actually, the "frunk is open" bong is the one bong that I find useful. Given the position of the frunk opening switch on the key fob, I find that is all too easy to accidentally (and unknowingly) open the frunk while the key fob is in my pocket. And I would rather learn that the frunk is open from a bong while I am still in my garage than from the hood flying up against the windshield when I get on the freeway. :)

tiburonh said:
Actually, the "frunk is open" bong is the one bong that I find useful. Given the position of the frunk opening switch on the key fob, I find that is all too easy to accidentally (and unknowingly) open the frunk while the key fob is in my pocket. And I would rather learn that the frunk is open from a bong while I am still in my garage than from the hood flying up against the windshield when I get on the freeway. :)

Your hood won't fly open on the freeway, there is a safety latch to keep that from happening. I'm not suggesting coding out the display that tells you the Frunk is open, just the bong. Like some have chosen to code out the seatbelt bong.

Back