Just past 30,000 miles on my i3 BEV Electronaut Edition

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACDCBMW

And I love it. I love the responsiveness of the acceleration, the use of the actuated cruise control, the comfortable interior, ease of parking and driving in downtown as well as on the freeways...I can go on and on but I am going to stop here.

I will share with you that the only real maintenance was changing the rear tires due to wear at around 25k miles. The front still has around 10k miles left. Of course there were the software and KLE upgrades but my dealer took care of it very professionally with minimal impact to my daily schedule.

I live in Southern California, the worst place for traffic and due to the urban sprawl planning of the region, it's very common for me to drive over 200 miles in a day going from meetings to meetings. I own a civil engineering company specialized in constructing transportation infrastructures (highways and bridges, railways, airports and waterports) and it's important for me to be consciencious about leaving less carbon footprint so I drive the i3, the most efficient car. It's also a very comfortable car to drive without wearing me down in traffic.

I also like the fact that with my i3, I can drive on the carpool lanes and managed lanes for free, which I guess, saves me about half the time in traffic. and I really like the fact that there are so many level 3 chargers around so I can charge up to 80% within a half an hour. That half an hour is so useful in checking emails and making calls. Also, I've not used my home charger in several months so electricity has been free for me. When I have to fly out of town, I book my flight from Long Beach Airport where parking is also free for electric vehicles.

I have to tell you, this is as close to the ideal car that's available on the market for someone like me who want's to get around town quickly and leave as little carbon footprint as I can.

If there is anything that can change on this car, I would say BMW, please add longer range to the batteries and have it retrofit to the existing i3s.

With that said, if you have any questions about how the car performs after 30k miles, feel free to ask me and I will try to answer them for you.

Cheers!

I am catching up with you fast and furious... 200 miles a day and almost 15 k now after 4 months. 4-6 more and I will be at 30k.

ACDCBMW said:
With that said, if you have any questions about how the car performs after 30k miles, feel free to ask me and I will try to answer them for you.

Cheers!

Great report!

I have one question: How do you drive so far with this car and not complain about the 'dangerous' steering? Apparently there are 'hundreds' of complaints (unavailable for some reason) about the terrible steering!

Bonus question: If a dog ran out in front of you on the highway while you were travelling at 60mph, would you brake or swerve to avoid it?

I33t said:
ACDCBMW said:

Cheers!

Great report!

I have one question: How do you drive so far with this car and not complain about the 'dangerous' steering? Apparently there are 'hundreds' of complaints (unavailable for some reason) about the terrible steering!

Bonus question: If a dog ran out in front of you on the highway while you were travelling at 60mph, would you brake or swerve to avoid it?

You realize you are hijacking yet another thread with an off topic post?

epirali said:

No, I responded to ACDCBMW's report. It is a great report! ACDCBMW asked if there were any questions, so I asked a couple. I think you haven't responded to ACDCBMW at all, so actually your post is offtopic.

I33t said:
epirali said:

No, I responded to ACDCBMW's report. It is a great report! ACDCBMW asked if there were any questions, so I asked a couple. I think you haven't responded to ACDCBMW at all, so actually your post is offtopic.

Bull. And I quote:

This has nothing to do with the OPs thread, and you know it.

epirali said:

I responded to an invite to ask questions not covered in the original post:

Cheers!

Please stop taking this thread off topic!

I33t said:
epirali said:

I responded to an invite to ask questions not covered in the original post:

Cheers!

Please stop taking this thread off topic!

Just... lol

An excellent report though.. am at almost 20k in my bev and loving every mile.. my steering is sharp and precise..

I too live in Southern California and my experience with the vehicle and my feelings about it parallel yours to a "T." I only have 10,000 miles on my i3 REx, but I look back on all the cars I've owned before and can say that I am now driving the best car I've ever owned. Safe driving for your next 30,000.

ACDCBMW said:
And I love it. I love the responsiveness of the acceleration, the use of the actuated cruise control, the comfortable interior, ease of parking and driving in downtown as well as on the freeways...I can go on and on but I am going to stop here.

I will share with you that the only real maintenance was changing the rear tires due to wear at around 25k miles. The front still has around 10k miles left. Of course there were the software and KLE upgrades but my dealer took care of it very professionally with minimal impact to my daily schedule.

I live in Southern California, the worst place for traffic and due to the urban sprawl planning of the region, it's very common for me to drive over 200 miles in a day going from meetings to meetings. I own a civil engineering company specialized in constructing transportation infrastructures (highways and bridges, railways, airports and waterports) and it's important for me to be consciencious about leaving less carbon footprint so I drive the i3, the most efficient car. It's also a very comfortable car to drive without wearing me down in traffic.

I also like the fact that with my i3, I can drive on the carpool lanes and managed lanes for free, which I guess, saves me about half the time in traffic. and I really like the fact that there are so many level 3 chargers around so I can charge up to 80% within a half an hour. That half an hour is so useful in checking emails and making calls. Also, I've not used my home charger in several months so electricity has been free for me. When I have to fly out of town, I book my flight from Long Beach Airport where parking is also free for electric vehicles.

I have to tell you, this is as close to the ideal car that's available on the market for someone like me who want's to get around town quickly and leave as little carbon footprint as I can.

If there is anything that can change on this car, I would say BMW, please add longer range to the batteries and have it retrofit to the existing i3s.

Cheers!

Sounds ideal car for the area you live in.

Is there any negatives as regards ride and handling?

Did you notice any difference between the software upgrades and new KLE?

Back