too much rapid charging damages Li-Ion batteries

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Leaf in places like Phoenix, AZ, where summer temperatures can easily exceed 100F, and the night may or may not drop off a lot, has experienced battery issues, at least on the older models. The i3 comes with ACTIVE battery temperature management whereas it can heat (to improve things before setting off when cold) or cool the batteries to preserve their life. This is a huge difference from more typical implementations of Li-ion battery uses, and should go a long ways towards extending their useful lives. Throw in that they won't let you fully charge the pack or discharge it, maintaining a buffer at each end, I have no issues with just charging mine any time I want.

ACDCBMW said:
Here's data for y'all. I've just pasted 30k miles on my i3 BEV, mostly using SAE Combo Fast Charger (90% of the time) and I do not see any drop in the battery capacity.
A tribute to the BMW engineers and their choice of batteries and control logic! As I've said before, the i3 isn't your typical cellphone or battery operated drill - it has lots more smarts.

jadnashuanh said:
ACDCBMW said:
Here's data for y'all. I've just pasted 30k miles on my i3 BEV, mostly using SAE Combo Fast Charger (90% of the time) and I do not see any drop in the battery capacity.
A tribute to the BMW engineers and their choice of batteries and control logic! As I've said before, the i3 isn't your typical cellphone or battery operated drill - it has lots more smarts.

It's combination of chemistry and temperature management. That's what 2011/12 Leafs got wrong. The fast charging itself without heat issues didn't seem to impact the Leaf either. And Tesla roadsters have shown much less degradation although they charge at higher rates, but thy have very aggressive temperature management.

Back