BMW I3 -Most Dangerious Steering Of Any Car I've Owned!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I33t said:
Correct. Idleup has been asked to provide details about the 'hundreds of complaints' several times in this thread.

No answer, no evidence.

Back on topic, still no response showing evidence of hundreds of steering complaints.

Perhaps Idleup has no evidence, or he's off on the C300 forum doing a repeat...

I couldn't find anything on the internet about i3 over steering or suspension complaints. I did find an interesting site listing tsbs but none having to do with steering

http://www.carcomplaints.com/BMW/i3/2014/tsbs/

Ron

Wow, I keep promising myself never to go back to this thread, but I keep on doing it. Like watching a train wreck, you want to stop, but can't help yourself.

I know that this thread is meandering opinionated magniloquence, but like a drug, I need my fix.

So, keep on posting, please. Never let it stop. Back and forth, on and on, never to be destroyed..

My precious.

I've read several pages of this topic, but not all. Several observations:

• Like many rear-engine cars I've owned, the i3 can benefit from lower tire pressure in front. BMW's spec is a bit high for my taste and the high speed dynamics of the car, probably for reasons concerning range, cornering, and potential pothole damage. I am currently running 27 psi in the 19" tires, and the high speed stability is much better - almost normal feeling. Of course this pressure is at the peril of potential pothole damage, but I much prefer it overall. It doesn't seem to affect cornering adhesion in most normal driving - maybe if you're racing it.

I feel the i3 steering geometry could benefit from more caster (as someone previously mentioned). This would provide more mechanical self-centering at speed, and a bit more weight in the steering feedback. Unfortunately, this is not adjustable on most strut type suspension, including the i3. It is what it is, unless BMW changes the setup.

The 20" tires are more sensitive to steering input (and bumps), due to the lower profile / stiffer sidewalls. That's why I got the 19" tires.

As the tires wear-in a bit, the sensitivity to road surfaces, joints, crowns, etc. gets a bit better.

Driving with elbows on the armrests, rather than suspended from the wheel, helps maintain stability at speed.

All that said, I don't consider the dynamics dangerous. It annoyed me a bit at first until I became more accustomed to it and lowered the front pressures.

peteinlongbeach said:
I've read several pages of this topic, but not all. Several observations:

• Like many rear-engine cars I've owned, the i3 can benefit from lower tire pressure in front. BMW's spec is a bit high for my taste and the high speed dynamics of the car, probably for reasons concerning range, cornering, and potential pothole damage. I am currently running 27 psi in the 19" tires, and the high speed stability is much better - almost normal feeling. Of course this pressure is at the peril of potential pothole damage, but I much prefer it overall. It doesn't seem to affect cornering adhesion in most normal driving - maybe if you're racing it.

I feel the i3 steering geometry could benefit from more caster (as someone previously mentioned). This would provide more mechanical self-centering at speed, and a bit more weight in the steering feedback. Unfortunately, this is not adjustable on most strut type suspension, including the i3. It is what it is, unless BMW changes the setup.

The 20" tires are more sensitive to steering input (and bumps), due to the lower profile / stiffer sidewalls. That's why I got the 19" tires.

As the tires wear-in a bit, the sensitivity to road surfaces, joints, crowns, etc. gets a bit better.

Driving with elbows on the armrests, rather than suspended from the wheel, helps maintain stability at speed.

All that said, I don't consider the dynamics dangerous. It annoyed me a bit at first until I became more accustomed to it and lowered the front pressures.

Great informative post - Thanks!

I33t said:
WoodlandHills said:
If you lower the tire pressure the whooping noise gets worse.

LOL, but the whining stays the same.

I have no whooping noise or vibration at all - instead of the steering getting less sensitive at high speeds - the I3 steering get more sensitive - I tried air pressure - the lower the pressure the more grip and the worse the steering gets!

Idleup said:
I33t said:
WoodlandHills said:
If you lower the tire pressure the whooping noise gets worse.

LOL, but the whining stays the same.

I have no whooping noise or vibration at all - instead of the steering getting less sensitive at high speeds - the I3 steering get more sensitive - I tried air pressure - the lower the pressure the more grip and the worse the steering gets!

This runs against my experience, and all other accounts by others who have had the car delivered with higher than normal tire pressures. My Smart car was the same way. Lower pressures = softer sidewalls = less sensitivity.

Hey look somebody has to look after you guys - and expose the weakness in them - as I mentioned in detail, its all too easy to over-steer the car and lose control and find your self in a ditch or up-side down. As you know, its not an I8, the car is tall and narrow.

Don't get me wrong, I love driving the I3 - I love the power, the EV range - its cute - easy to park - but it has numerous areas that need attention plus the distinct honor of the highest depreciated value of any car in its price range. $22,000 lost in 5 months - it would have been less painful to slit my wrists! LOL

Regards!

Idleup said:
Hey look somebody has to look after you guys - and expose the weakness in them - as I mentioned in detail, its all too easy to over-steer the car and lose control and find your self in a ditch or up-side down.

That's true - we see those accident reports several times a week. Thanks for the reminder.

>>>the highest depreciated value of any car in its price range. $22,000 lost in 5 months >>

It sounds like you're comparing the book value of a used i3 to the new selling price without the 7500 tax credit or any state credits. If so, you're overstating the depreciation because you didn't pay the selling price, but 7500 less. Correct me if I'm wrong

Ron

Personally, I've not read of any i3's that rolled over or ended in a ditch as a result of the steering. Talk about hyperbole. If it was rampant, it would show up in the news, rather than as one person's opinion that is not very widespread.

jadnashuanh said:
Personally, I've not read of any i3's that rolled over or ended in a ditch as a result of the steering. Talk about hyperbole. If it was rampant, it would show up in the news, rather than as one person's opinion that is not very widespread.

Not to start thus up again (it was nicely done with), but it is opinion of at least two people here!

And there aren't that many i3s out there, and emergency maneuvers are rare. I wouldn't just dismiss the concern, whether exaggerated or not.

epirali said:
jadnashuanh said:

Not to start thus up again (it was nicely done with), but it is opinion of at least two people here!

Of course! 2 of currently 2181 members. We really need to give those two as much room to display their extraordinary falsifiable opinions as they need.

The other 2179 members will quietly giggle.

jadnashuanh said:
The only news that shows up in my apps is the constant announcement of awards the car is accumulating. Must be a record breaker in number of awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back