Disable AC Auto-On

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I33t said:
WoodlandHills said:
jadnashuanh said:
Given that BMW research has shown that driving with the windows down above 30mph is less efficient than running the a/c, and keeping the windows clear may require a/c use at least some of the time, I think it is quite reasonable to default it on.

Don't they have "winter" in Germany? Would it not be just as reasonable for 1/2 of the year to default to heat instead? One can make the exact same argument in favor of the opposite choice for much of the planet much of the year......

Um...

You set the temp, the system decides to run cool or heat based on the cabin temperature. If you have a BEV, both operations are performed by the heat pump.

So the answer is, yes they do heat as well as cool automatically.

The title of this thread refers to a/c auto-on. So does my post. So why not have the system default to a/c off at startup? It makes as much sense as the other way, more if you feel that most buyers would want to conserve energy and extend range. It has been posted here many times that the reason we don't have power seats is to conserve energy, so why the default to the least efficient operation. No consistency to BMWs choices........

WoodlandHills said:
The title of this thread refers to a/c auto-on. So does my post. So why not have the system default to a/c off at startup? It makes as much sense as the other way, more if you feel that most buyers would want to conserve energy and extend range. It has been posted here many times that the reason we don't have power seats is to conserve energy, so why the default to the least efficient operation. No consistency to BMWs choices........
Depending exactly where you are in SoCal, you may not have a humidity problem. Lots of places do. Most people prefer the car to have a comfortable interior temp, and that, along with the dehumidification to keep the windows clear (a big safety issue) means a/c on. Now, that doesn't actually mean that the a/c will be running, but it is enabled so it can run. And, for efficiency, many people will be driving faster than 30mph, and a/c on verses windows open has been shown to be more efficient. So, given those items, and, the guidance that for maximum range, precondition the car while on EVSE, I think they made the right decision. On older cars, too many times the windows would end up fogging up, decreasing visibility, because the a/c was turned off, then you have to turn it on and wait. With an automatic system, it needs to be enabled at least, and can generally figure out if it is needed. If the temps are mild, you could always set the thermostat a bit higher, and the a/c may not need to run.

Yes, it could be a s/w controlled item, but IMHO, they viewed safety first, with total efficiency close behind.

Power seats means more weight you're carrying around for what may be a feature that gets used once. In my case, I'm the only normal driver...why would I want to weight, cost, and resulting energy use to move the seats? For me, that extra weight you cannot get rid of, verses what can be done manually about as fast as the motors running, just doesn't add up. If needed, you can push the seat back before you get in, and it's not like my other car that has 15 different adjustments to fine tune...you really have three: F-R, U-D, and seatback angle.

There's always more than one way to look at these issues...they are what they are, you have to decide if the way it is implemented is acceptable to you. On an EV, extra weight is a major consideration - it's always there, decreasing range...adding something has to be worth the effort for not only that, but for safety as well.

I share my car with my spouse, twice a day I have to adjust all the seat settings and the mirrors. As does she. In a $55k car!
So why not make power seats and interior mirrors an option? Because BMW know best what is good for us?

The minuscule possibility that windows might fog is the excuse for having the a/c default to on, seriously? I think you are grasping at straws to try to prove a point......

LOL. First world problems. :)

It's so difficult to adjust the seat and push a button on the dash. I'm crying for you.

The answer to this one is that The A/C Defaults to on so that you can remotely precondition the interior- which is a useful feature. Appreciate the OP finds it somewhat irritating to turn it off, but I can't imagine it's much of a chore really. If you set the car to EP+ it turns off the A/C anyway.

PluviaPlumbum said:
If you set the car to EP+ it turns off the A/C anyway.
I always drive in EP+, but the i3 defaults to Comfort whenever it is turned on. I want the i3 to remember the driving mode which it doesn't do for some reason. And even though the A/C compressor doesn't turn on in EP+ mode, the climate control fan does turn on which I don't want, either. So my Ready state checklist includes turning off the climate control and setting the drive mode to EP+, neither of which I should have to do every time I start driving. These are admittedly minor inconveniences, but they detract from my enjoyment of our i3 and would be easy for BMW to remedy.

PluviaPlumbum said:
The answer to this one is that The A/C Defaults to on so that you can remotely precondition the interior- which is a useful feature. Appreciate the OP finds it somewhat irritating to turn it off, but I can't imagine it's much of a chore really. If you set the car to EP+ it turns off the A/C anyway.

Actually this is not required. The leaf has completely separate settings for pre-conditioning and driving. I can set the precondition temp, which only impacts settings when I precondition, and the "drive" setting which is what takes effect when I start the car. If I leave AC off it stays off when I get back in the car. If I precondition the AC runs UNTIL I turn on the car and it reverts to last setting.

This is not needed, it's just an oversight.

I think there's a requirement to have ventilation in the car, so that is the default, based on US code to try to ensure you don't die of CO poisoning. Now, in an i3 (except maybe the REx) that's impossible, but there are lots of things in the code that were written for 'normal' cars, and not been amended for some of the newer choices out there. Some cases in point...code requires metal reinforcement around a sunroof in a car...not there in an i3, so not an option in the USA; laser adaptive headlights, not available as code requires there to be a hi/low switch, and they set the minimum illumination levels in each mode...not possible with the adaptive headlights as sold in Europe (although, we're getting a crippled version here in some 2016 models - it's not the same as available in Europe and elsewhere). We require front, side marker lights, not required most other places. Recently, they added the requirement for turn signals on the mirrors, and in 2017, all light vehicles (truck and car) will be required to have backup cameras.

The DOT codes are antiquated, hard to change, and limit innovation on many things in the USA, and are one reason why our cars often operate slightly differently than those sold elsewhere. It's a fact of life...live with it.

There has been an effort to make cross-certification mean a vehicle certified in one market (mainly Europe and the Euro zone) would be legal without changes in the USA and vice-versa. This keeps hitting snags. Maybe it will happen sometime. Then, the cross-country comparison of features will be mute as the cars will be the same. Until then...we do live in a separate country with its own rules.

jadnashuanh said:
I think there's a requirement to have ventilation in the car, so that is the default, based on US code to try to ensure you don't die of CO poisoning. Now, in an i3 (except maybe the REx) that's impossible, but there are lots of things in the code that were written for 'normal' cars, and not been amended for some of the newer choices out there. Some cases in point...code requires metal reinforcement around a sunroof in a car...not there in an i3, so not an option in the USA; laser adaptive headlights, not available as code requires there to be a hi/low switch, and they set the minimum illumination levels in each mode...not possible with the adaptive headlights as sold in Europe (although, we're getting a crippled version here in some 2016 models - it's not the same as available in Europe and elsewhere). We require front, side marker lights, not required most other places. Recently, they added the requirement for turn signals on the mirrors, and in 2017, all light vehicles (truck and car) will be required to have backup cameras.

The DOT codes are antiquated, hard to change, and limit innovation on many things in the USA, and are one reason why our cars often operate slightly differently than those sold elsewhere. It's a fact of life...live with it.

There has been an effort to make cross-certification mean a vehicle certified in one market (mainly Europe and the Euro zone) would be legal without changes in the USA and vice-versa. This keeps hitting snags. Maybe it will happen sometime. Then, the cross-country comparison of features will be mute as the cars will be the same. Until then...we do live in a separate country with its own rules.

That's an interesting point, but none of my ICE cars in the U.S. force ventilation. In fact they remember the state of AC, fan and ventilation/re circulation. Am I missing something?

I searched, and could not find a requirement for vehicle ventilation. For a brief time, way back when, I worked for Ford, and that was discussed...must not have made it into code. On many cars with automatic systems, even if you turn the fan off, there can still be some air movement. On most cars, and on the i3, it will NOT let you leave the recirculation switch engaged forever...as stated in the user's manual...

"To prevent window fogging, recirculated air mode switches off automatically after a certain amount of time, depending on the environmental conditions."

And, also states:

"The recirculated-air mode should not be used for an extended period of time, as the air quality inside the vehicle deteriorates steadily."

Recycling the air, and breathing, can be problematic. Certainly, the car is not perfectly air tight, but it's not bad.

jadnashuanh said:
"The recirculated-air mode should not be used for an extended period of time, as the air quality inside the vehicle deteriorates steadily."

Probably a reflection on how far ahead the EU is on air quality control than the rest of us. For a parallel example, have a look how many Passivhaus certified buildings are in the US compared to the UK and Germany. UK: 53, USA: 57, Germany:2066. Here in Australia, there is only a handful.

Air quality and insulation is something Europe has been focussing on for a long time, it's no surprise that interest is leaking into something like an environment friendly car.

Back