What things are 'must see' along the PCH from SF to LA?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadnashuanh

Mid-September (ie., next month), I'm going to be driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles. From people that have been the coast highway route, what are some of the 'must see' things and places? I'll have four full days, and the last day, I'm planning on spending at the Getty Villa and Museum before I have to get to an appointment for supper. That only will be a bit over 100-miles per day, so hopefully, I'll have lots of time to stop and explore along the way.

Recommended places to stay along the way, dividing it up into those short segments? To die for places to eat?

Unlimited budget.....Post Ranch Inn. Get a tree house and make dinner reservations. If there, two nights watch the sunset and stay for dinner at Nepenthe. If not time or limited budget, just eat at Nepenthe.

OK, Highway 1, North to South, an embarrassment of riches.
A genuine GPS is a must, as cell-phone signals can be sporadic.
September is usually our Indian Summer, so (touch CFRP) the weather should coöperate.
(I am assuming you will not be in a BEV i3, as that would be a whole new realm of endeavour. If you are, there is a DC fast charger tucked behind the Safeway in Pacifica).
Princeton, just North of Half Moon Bay is home to Mavericks, if drowning is your thing, else you can down a Mavericks Ale and a burger al fresco at Half Moon Bay Brewery, very California.
HMB is OK, and the brunch at the Ritz-Carlton is pretty swank, but be sure to fast beforehand and wander the cliffs afterward.
Just South, thumb your nose at Vinod Khosla by strolling his "private" Martins Beach.
Pescadero has Duarte's, pie heaven.
Then there's Pigeon Point lighthouse, with adjacent Youth Hostel, and a Prohibition history of smuggling, shades of Cornwall.
Four miles down, Highway 1 Brewing, a somewhat austere nano-brewery.
Then Año Nuevo has tons of stinky macho Elephant Seal blubber slapping each other silly, but not so much in September.
Santa Cruz has its funky charms, and a wooden roller-coaster.
Pretty boring till Monterey, with a very fine aquarium, plus one can kayak in the bay and commune with the life aquatic. Then Pacific Grove, just getting discovered, and, of course, 17-mile drive (beautiful coastline, trashy mansions) and super-cutesy Carmel.
The Tickle Pink Inn, just South of Carmel, would be an entertaining place to overnight, even if you are not on honeymoon.
A few miles South is Garrapata State Park, stroll down to the beach or hike 3½ strenuous miles up to Rocky Ridge overlook, quite literally breathtaking.
Never get tired of Bixby Bridge.
Then Big Sur: Post Ranch Inn is for the 1%ers, a picnic on Pfeiffer State Beach for the rest of us. I am partial to the deck at Ventana, though Nepenthe is fine.
Settle in for a long rollicking ride, with more Elephant Seals at Piedras Blancas, then Hearst Castle, that epitome of American kitsch, I can never get enough of it.
Morro Bay and Montaña de Oro State Park, worth a look-see.
Madona Inn, just because.
Now, for a special treat, try out the aptly-named Camino del Cielo, starting at Refugio Pass (by Ronald Reagan's old Western White House at Rancho del Cielo), ignore the strident warning signs and follow the very rocky ridge past a radio tower on towards Santa Barbara. Some years ago I jostled a 325i along here, and the undercarriage still has the scars to prove it. Speaking of Saint Reagan, once you are entranced by the sublime Getty Villa head inland and ascend to the ridiculous Reagan Library on a hilltop above Simi Valley, a temple straight out of Monty Python, complete with reassembled Air Force One (Casper Weinberger sat here!), a slab of the torn-down Berlin Wall (thank you, Mr. Gorbachev), and seemingly every boot and belt buckle Ronnie ever wore. It has everything but his hair dye; I tell you, Scientology's got nothing on these folks.
From Safeway to Simi, enjoy!

Good list from i3an. I'd add Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, which is just south of Carmel-by-the-Sea.

http://www.pointlobos.org

It offers a nice variety of coastal terrain, easy hiking trails, and opportunities for wildlife sightings including whales. Blue whales migrate July to September so you might spot one from a higher cliff. Nice views across Carmel Bay to world-famous Pebble Beach also.

Just down Highway 1, the Tickle Pink Inn mentioned below is perched above the 98-year-old Highlands Inn. Tickle Pink only serves breakfast but the Highlands has two restaurants. We prefer the more casual California Market for breakfast and lunch because it has an outdoor deck with amazing views.

http://www.hyatt.com/gallery/pacificsedge/californiamarket.html

The little town of Cambria makes a good staging point for Heast Castle. It has a number of hotel/motel/inn and restaurant options.

http://visitcambriaca.com

Best advice though is to take your time and meander. We've had some of our most enjoyable experiences simply by stopping and exploring based on our gut feel.

Thanks for the tips...I'll study them along with the map and make some decisions along the way. My i3 is on the east coast, so no, it's not in play here! Just figured that CA has a higher proportion of i3 owners, and they'd have a better idea of what to do and see. I've visited SCAL for work (LA and Camp Pendleton), and had some free weekends, stopped in SF, but not driven that part of the coast so this should be interesting...hoping the rain and wildfires cooperate. I could do without an earthquake, too, but none of those are really predictable.

i3an missed one very important stop. Just a minute north of Moss Landing is Elkhorn Slough. Find Kayak Connection and you can take a kayak (on your own or with a tour guide) and kayak up the Elkhorn slough for several hours if you want and see Sea Otters, Seals, Sea Lions, and birdlife. Late afternoons are best but just time in with the tides. This will be the highlight of your trip. It would be ideal if there was a charging station at the marina but this is a spot that shouldn't be missed. Also, if you are going in the next few weeks, consider taking a whale watching tour from Moss Landing (town right opposite the huge power plant stacks). There are more whales feeding less than 15 minutes from shore than seen in decades.

Back