Inconsistent Regen Braking in same mode

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RExingIT

I've got a service appointment set up for this, but I wanted to throw it out to the general crowd.

I've been having inconsistent results with the regen braking on my i3 REx and am wondering if anyone else has been having these issues. I thought I saw a post on it, but wasn't able to find it.

Sometimes when I lift fully off the accelerator, the regen braking feels only about 1/2 or less as strong as it should. Usually a quick tap back on the accelerator brings it to it's senses but it obviously shouldn't be doing this. I'm generally driving in Eco Pro + but have noticed this issue in all modes.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.

Two things can affect the amount of regen other than the mode and your pedal position:
- it decreases when you turn the steering wheel to go around a curve or corner
- it decreases (sometimes essentially turns off) if you hit a big enough bump

And, if you're battery is essentially at 100%, it actually appears to use the brakes instead.

jadnashuanh said:
Two things can affect the amount of regen other than the mode and your pedal position:
- it decreases when you turn the steering wheel to go around a curve or corner
- it decreases (sometimes essentially turns off) if you hit a big enough bump

And, if you're battery is essentially at 100%, it actually appears to use the brakes instead.

I know about the issue when going around corners. This happens when I'm going straight on basically smooth roads.

It happens at all battery levels.

websterize said:
Seeing you're in Chicago, extreme HV battery temperature might also be a factor in regen. amount.

I don't think battery temp is causing the issue. I's happened at all different temperatures (from 50 F to 90 F) and it's been especially temperate here this past week (though that's set to change next week.)

RExingIT said:
I've got a service appointment set up for this, but I wanted to throw it out to the general crowd.

I've been having inconsistent results with the regen braking on my i3 REx and am wondering if anyone else has been having these issues. I thought I saw a post on it, but wasn't able to find it.

Sometimes when I lift fully off the accelerator, the regen braking feels only about 1/2 or less as strong as it should. Usually a quick tap back on the accelerator brings it to it's senses but it obviously shouldn't be doing this. I'm generally driving in Eco Pro + but have noticed this issue in all modes.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.

We've been seeing this same behavior since a software update in July. We first noticed the regen was less than before the update, enough so we had to retrain or selves a bit. Then more recently the inconsistent regen braking started which makes it challenging to go without using the brake. We didn't think of tapping the accelerator, but will try it next time it happens.

Let us know how your service appointment goes.

justanotherdrunk said:
i occasionally experience weak regen

it seems to happen at first slow down after leaving the garage in the morning

and then back to normal

:?:
That sounds like the car using the brakes verses the actual motor to emulate regen right after leaving with 100% charge.

Back