Finally arrived but with a few concerns..

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly10

Just arrived last Wednesday and I love the car. Its a rex in capparis white. When it got dropped of the car stated 80 miles ev range and 80 miles rex range which is exactly what i expected. Unfortunately now the car only states 62 miles once fully charged, this is from a normal 3 pin home socket mind, will this make a difference on full charge range? Also the rex range has plummeted to 55 miles even though its got nearly a full tank? Is the range calculated by previous driving style as I've give it a good test on full acceleration a good few times, but the missus drives it pretty economical.

The range shown for both the battery and for the ReX is calculated on your last trip driving efficiency, or on a longer trip, the most recent miles (25 miles or so I think?) plus, if you enter a destination, some account of your coming hills.

If your car is fully charged (and your fuel tank full) then you will have 18.8kWhrs available (and a similar amount from the ReX).

Your driving style (and your missus) will determine how far you go on that charge, together with the prevailing road conditions, ambient temperature and how much load you have in the car. Have a look on your smartphone i-app to see what your local community achieves and check what your most recent efficiency was - all available on the app.

As you've just acquired the car you may well be achieving around 3.5 miles/kWhr (3.5*18kWhrs) = 63 miles from battery and similar from ReX - and that's what you state in your post. Pretty soon you'll be achieving 4miles/kWhr = 72 miles and maybe 4.5m/kWhr = 81 miles. Experienced drivers may get 5m/kWhr (90m) or more - one of the drivers on the UK i3 Facebook group has posted a mileage GOM of 98miles (equiv to ~ 5.4m/kWhr).

janner said:
The range shown for both the battery and for the ReX is calculated on your last trip driving efficiency, or on a longer trip, the most recent miles (25 miles or so I think?) plus, if you enter a destination, some account of your coming hills.

If your car is fully charged (and your fuel tank full) then you will have 18.8kWhrs available (and a similar amount from the ReX).

Your driving style (and your missus) will determine how far you go on that charge, together with the prevailing road conditions, ambient temperature and how much load you have in the car. Have a look on your smartphone i-app to see what your local community achieves and check what your most recent efficiency was - all available on the app.

As you've just acquired the car you may well be achieving around 3.5 miles/kWhr (3.5*18kWhrs) = 63 miles from battery and similar from ReX - and that's what you state in your post. Pretty soon you'll be achieving 4miles/kWhr = 72 miles and maybe 4.5m/kWhr = 81 miles. Experienced drivers may get 5m/kWhr (90m) or more - one of the drivers on the UK i3 Facebook group has posted a mileage GOM of 98miles (equiv to ~ 5.4m/kWhr).

Cheers mate. Thought it may have been down to my driving style TBH, just love that warm wave of torque at lower speeds. Currently averaging 3.9 miles/kwhr which is exactly the same as the community.

You will find that your predicted range will vary after you finish charging, dependent on how you are driving it.

For example, Sunday morning, predicted range, 88miles after charging. This morning, predicted range 102. Monday through Tuesday I was only driving back and forth to work (about 3 miles each way, lots of construction so lots of creeping slowly along.

I find it's helpful to turn on the instantaneous consumption read out (push the BC button on the tip of the left hand controls stalk to cycle through). Its right after the average consumption read out. You may think you're driving carefully but the number don't lie. If your average consumption is below 3 Mi/Kwh, you're really not driving very economically.

If you're running allot of AC, you will also cut down on range.

Current average for my most recent trip to work was 6.9 Mi/kWh.

Back