Question on charger/car noise while Preconditioning ??

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasleinstein

I am very surprised the last couple of weeks as I have been able to connect to the car 3 out of 4 times to engage preconditioning. WOW!

As I was rarely able to engage preconditioning last winter, I never was around the car while it was conditioning.

As the car is conditioning, there is a loud clunking sound coming from the charger (Clipper Creek HCS-40 BTW) every three or four seconds. Its as if the preconditioning is doing so in bursts of power?

thanks for sharing your experiences of preconditioning.

The repeated EVSE clunking sound when preconditioning (its main relay is repeatedly opening and closing) has been reported by many people. This isn't ideal for the life of this relay and shouldn't be happening. Others have hoped that the November i3 firmware update will fix this problem, but no one will know until this update has been installed.

Greetings jasleinstein,

When the car calls for current from the EVSE, you hear a "clunk" as the contactor closes to complete the circuit; this happens repeatedly as the power needs cycle on and off.

Fortunately, there is a solution for this courtesy of Clipper Creek, the manufacturer of your EVSE. Check your owners manual or call customer service for a description of the "maintenance current" option which our CS-40 model is equipped with. This supplies the car with minimal, continuous current for all power needs except charging the main battery, including cabin preconditioning.

Select the maintenance current option on your EVSE, and you will only hear the contactor closing when actually charging of the traction battery begins.

alohart said:
The repeated EVSE clunking sound when preconditioning (its main relay is repeatedly opening and closing) has been reported by many people. This isn't ideal for the life of this relay and shouldn't be happening. Others have hoped that the November i3 firmware update will fix this problem, but no one will know until this update has been installed.

I have the new software installed and can confirm no more noises so far. About time to fix this most annoying issue...

Back