Brake light indicator

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnort

I'd love to see an icon on the display somewhere that indicates the current status of the brake light.

I tend to one pedal drive, and I'm always wondering how that is looking to people behind me, or if I'm being a 'bad driver' by not having the brake light on at stops, etc.

Schnort said:
if I'm being a 'bad driver' by not having the brake light on at stops, etc.
I regard it as bad driving to have the brake light on at a stop: it blinds the driver behind and loses their night vision. That's what the hand-brake is for. You would fail your test for this in the UK.

This video shows that regen brake lights come on approx when the pendulum indicator light is above the "C" for Charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJPf7Lv8Sw

I always press on the brake when I am at a full stop. It's an indicator for the upcoming car to slow down and stop.
I can imagine a distracted driver, not focusing on the road, thinks I am still moving, and ramming the back of my car.
BMW should actually design to activate the brake light whenever the car is in full stop.

The indication that your car is stopped is that it's stationary. If a driver is unable to spot that, then they will likely have any number of other accidents prior to ramming you.

PhilH said:
The indication that your car is stopped is that it's stationary. If a driver is unable to spot that, then they will likely have any number of other accidents prior to ramming you.

Thinking about signalling to the back whether I am standing or not when stopping my car at a junction on a rainy night, I know what I would choose.

I actually searched the UK Highway Code for this earlier, but couldn't find anything on this particular detail. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. However, I found something on that you shouldn't dazzle other drivers.

I learned to drive in Germany in the early 90s and remember we were taught to use handbrakes only for hill starts and when parked.

How about this one ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again

My first driving license is from UK.

psquare said:
This video shows that regen brake lights come on approx when the pendulum indicator light is above the "C" for Charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJPf7Lv8Sw
Hmmm, I guess I need to be more vigilant in stepping on the brake when I'm in queue.

But holy hell, that guy rolled every stop sign he came to. Bad driver! Bad!

PhilH said:
Schnort said:
I regard it as bad driving to have the brake light on at a stop: it blinds the driver behind and loses their night vision. That's what the hand-brake is for. You would fail your test for this in the UK.

I agree the night driving...
But what about driving in the day?

Blue20 said:
How about this one ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Thanks for finding this - very interesting.

PhilH said:

Think day time, with absolutely no indicator from your car...and when the car behind you is coming up fast. He won't slow down until he sees you are stationary, but we all know that's too late already. It's always better be safe than sorry.

PhilH said:
Schnort said:

If the driver cannot bear the brake light from the car up front at a stop, this driver is probably being blinded by the on-coming cars' headlights too. He/she should then not be driving at night.

What about personal responsibility? Too many people treat driving like a right, not a privilege that requires skill. This is probably more true in the USA than some other places. I lived in Germany for awhile, and it takes a fair amount of training and verified learning before you can drive. The driver's testing in the USA is a joke in comparison as is the vehicle testing to ensure it is safe (not even required in some states).

We as a human race are not well equipped to multi-task. Luckily, often, driving doesn't always require 100% concentration.

Back