November software update-observations

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrink13

I had my BEV software updated this week and I noticed two changes. The GOM range has increased, and the A/C- climate control no longer comes on when I start the car. Both good things.

Every software update appears to increase the GOM range predictions because one's recent driving history is erased and a "default" range is reported. After a bit of driving, the GOM seems to revert to previous behavior. That doesn't mean that the November 2015 update didn't tweak the GOM algorithm resulting in higher range estimates, but I haven't noticed any change with our BEV.

One of the bug fixes in this update was for low-cost charging issues... mine is still having issues. Anyone else?

The car only starts charging by itself at 7pm sometimes, other times it just sits there and i have to wake it up by hitting the lock button (or sending a lock signal via the app), then it starts charging. :x

I used to get this issue, but the November update has fixed this completely. It will only charge peak if sufficient charge is unavailable during off-peak charging, assuming that is what you asked for.

I'm unclear on software upgrades .....

Is this done only at the dealer?

Can I download the code and upgrade myself thru the usb?

Is it done wirelessly since it's a (very) connected vehicle?

or otherwise?

Thanks

:oops:

Dealer only for the whole vehicle software (operating system?)

You can do nav system updates yourself thru the usb.

No over the air updating at this point.

Early last year, BMW announced that OTA nav updates would become available as new models had LTE connections verses their current 3G ones. Not sure which vehicles may have that. Given the sizes of some of the programs...the current network connections are not timely or reliable due to their huge sizes.

I have noticed that the engine sounds much louder when it comes on and seems to rev a little more than it used to as your speed increases, can only assume its to increase the amount of charge as the load increases on the batteries?

55jwb said:
I have noticed that the engine sounds much louder when it comes on and seems to rev a little more than it used to as your speed increases, can only assume its to increase the amount of charge as the load increases on the batteries?
I do not have the latest November update and I noticed this behavior once when the range extender motor ran. I've only had to use the range extender around a handful of times but once it sounded much louder than the other time. From the decibels and frequency of the motor it sounded like it was running at a much higher RPM.

I'm assuming there are many factors that will change the charging level of this motor. Or does it have a maintenance cycle that runs this motor at higher RPMs at set intervals?

I'd be curious if you notice this every time for your car or if it just happened to be louder when it ran once after the update.

When the ReX first switches on it should run for about 6-minutes at 2400rpm
before then ramping up to 3600rpm or 4300rpm depending on battery SOC

The November upgrade has totally resolved the off-peak charging issues and increased range of my REx by about 10% (and that's in winter). I also noticed the AirCon feature, where it doesn't automatically comes on.

I haven't experienced any of the crashes other people on here talk about (fingers crossed).

Happy customer - at 13k+ miles after 10 months.

On Wednesday, we drove ~47 miles to the far northwest tip of our island. Even though the sun was at our back, ACC shut down more in one day than it has in total since we bought our car in November, 2014. ACC also failed to recognize a large white box truck in front and was accelerating toward the back of it until I intervened by pressing the brake pedal. The ACC icon did not show a vehicle in front, so it definitely was clueless about this truck. This had never happened previously. Such software glitches make me wonder how well autonomous driving will work. As a retired software engineer, I know the difficulty in eliminating all software bugs.

However, on the return trip in mid afternoon, ACC didn't shut down once. If anything, the windshield was likely a bit dirtier with a salt layer having parked near the ocean for several hours. Weird! But the November update did dial back the regen immediately when the ACC shuts down making this experience a much less jarring event which is nice.

When we departed on our return trip, I noticed that the nav screen was displaying the screen that it displays when the car is shut down. No iDrive button press would change this screen. It was like iDrive was hung at the car shutoff screen. I wanted to use the nav, so I had to pull over, shut down the car, and start it back up so that the nav screen displayed the usual startup screens. This has never happened before the November update which might or might not be responsible.

I have noticed an increased range of about 15% post-November update ! I am thrilled with it ! That 15% figure is not based on range calculations/estimates, but on actual miles driven. Temperature was about the same pre and post November update.. I'm not sure what the existing software version was in my car before the November 2015 update, and whether it was the original that came with the car when I purchased it in mid 2014, but needless to say I'm a very happy man.

The only difference I noticed is that in every trip my recuperation score is more than doubled! I always got 1 to 2 kWh/100km now I get 5kWh/100km!! True or bug? I also notice that the car slows down much less when I leave the acceleration pedal than before. But that might come from bad service (I got the software update during a service session because of a breaking-system failure).

Depending on how old your car is and when the last s/w update was done, it could very well now have less regeneration. That s/w tweak is about a year old, though.

How can you tell? My car seems to have been built in May of 2015.
My regen doesn't seem as violent as I saw it described and the ACC brakes "realistically".

Back