i3 top speed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always read that it was 94 mph, or around there. Well I hit it a few times this morning driving into work. It's like basically hitting a wall and not being able to go any faster, even though the car feels very stable and could keep going.

Ironically, the "flow of traffic" speed today was between 85-100 mph the entire way, and I was still getting passed by cars when I maxed out on the speed.

96.jpg

you should confirm it with a GPS! BMW's are known to bump up the speedo quite a bit, and more so at high speeds haha

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I was going 42 mph the other day and the radar on the speed limit sign said 38 mph. It wasn't the first time I noticed a lower speed recorded, but not by that much (usually just 2-3 mph).

SteveMondragon said:
I was going 42 mph the other day and the radar on the speed limit sign said 38 mph. It wasn't the first time I noticed a lower speed recorded, but not by that much (usually just 2-3 mph).
The radar speed reporting signs are typically calibrated for the closest lane passing them. If you are two or more lanes away, then the sign will read less than your actual speed (the error increases by the cosine of the angle between your direction of travel and the line of sight to the radar).

With a CD of 0.3 and a frontal area of 2.38 the i3 on 125kW could do 140mph if it wasn't gear or software (or battery discharge rate) limited.

Back