i3 is the absolute most hated car at Public Chargers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mattun said:
I found a solution, everyone should use this on public chargers....

How to defeat the charge cable lock

2014 BMW i3 US charging socket showing locking clipPress the release button on the J-Plug whilst locking the doors – the little locking plate above the J-Plug wants to come out, but it won’t until you release the button on the J-plug. Slowly ease the button up whilst tilting the J-plug out and back… wait for it… the moment the catch starts to move, press the button down again quickly to block the catch coming out! The catch will stop automatically, thinking it’s out far enough but it’s not! With a bit of practice you too can defeat it every time leaving the cable unlocked for the next person to use.

This sounds like a good way to break the locking pin or solenoid.

Neither of the i3's near my job have done this. And they often leave the car overnight (annoying to the early crew) or 6+ hours during the day. Very inconsiderate.

mattun said:
Neither of the i3's near my job have done this. And they often leave the car overnight (annoying to the early crew) or 6+ hours during the day. Very inconsiderate.

They probably don't know about the update - maybe you could mention it to them.

Is there anyway to leave the charge port unlock all the time? regardless the doors are locked or unlocked.

freeewilly said:
Is there anyway to leave the charge port unlock all the time? regardless the doors are locked or unlocked.
No, the plug is locked in place when the car is locked. IF you have the latest software update, (this applies to the USA and probably Canada, or places where the cable is tethered to the EVSE), the plug will be unlocked from the vehicle when the car is fully charged. Markets where there is no tethered cable have not implemented this software update, and probably won't, since the cable could then walk away, leaving the owner unable to charge anywhere without forking over a good sum for a new one.

I updated my i3 here in Spain to the latest version two weeks ago, but the plug is still locked even after the car is fully charged! I know I have the latest version because when I leave the charge port door open and start the car, I get the new warning notice. Is there a setting I need to change in the car in order to 'unlock' the plug when the car is fully charged?

Wafflehouse - you probably have the same software version as UK (EU wide?) and as in UK I charge with my own cable it stays locked. I understand that in the US the cable is part of the public EVSE so having it unlocked is not a problem. I guess that to make it ‘better’ here would need the public EVSEs to unlock at the EVSE end and stay locked in the car so no-one can steal the cable!

Mike has it right...the software in the cars is region specific, so a 'feature' in one country's implementation may not be identical in others.

FWIW, I would have preferred that they made that choice of unlocking or not a menu item, as some people may use their OUC, and you'd end up losing not only the cable, but the EVSE as well after it unlocked. Not a problem locking in your own garage, but definitely an issue if you're out and about elsewhere, even in your own driveway.

Wait, so you are saying that it unlocks on a US car every time charging is complete unless preconditioning is scheduled? That seems like a really bad idea, sounds like BMW really needs to copy Tesla a bit and allow you to save settings based on GPS location...such as charge rate, charge time, unlock preference, etc.

Unlocking/locking the 'charger' should be a remote function added to the mobile app. If you are like me, I'd assume that many/most of us monitor charge rates anyway using mobile devices when connected to publicly available systems.

macgreiner said:
Unlocking/locking the 'charger' should be a remote function added to the mobile app. If you are like me, I'd assume that many/most of us monitor charge rates anyway using mobile devices when connected to publicly available systems.
That'd be nice. It would also be nice if the app did push notifications when it was finished or plugged in.

Back