problem charging - indicator stayed solid white

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vier20

Hi everyone, new member here with a 2015 REx. Love the car, but having trouble charging tonight. The indicator light stayed solid white, never turned blue or blinking blue. The battery is at 4% so I've been using the generator. I've tried charging at a fast charger, an L2 station, and now at home (L1), all without luck. Any suggestions?

Just happened to me yesterday, I couldn't seat the plug properly into the car due to snow. No matter how firmly I was inserting the plug it wouldn't trigger the switch that tells the car that an EVSE is connected and therefore to start charging. I ended up using a wooden toothpick to clean out the crevasses of snow and seated the plug.

I don't know your location (cold climate or what) but if you can pull the plug out off the vehicle without depressing the upper trigger release then you need to look for anything that might be obstructing entry!

The signaling between the EVSE and the car requires the plug to be fully inserted to work. THis is probably even more important with CCS charging, since with the extra wires and pins, the cable and plug are heavier and there's a bit more resistance. If you can hear the contactor in the EVSE, it should open/close as you push the locking button/release it IF it is seated properly. There's a switch connected to that button, which is one of several interlock signals.

Back