i3 Maintenance Costs

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalybron

Hi all. I am planing to buy i3 with REX. I just wondering what are the costs of maintenance for i3 and which component will be changed until 50 000 or 100 000 miles? Could you give some info about your experience?

kalybron said:
Hi all. I am planing to buy i3 with REX. I just wondering what are the costs of maintenance for i3 and which component will be changed until 50 000 or 100 000 miles? Could you give some info about your experience?

100,000 miles :eek: Do you understand how many charges and how many trips that would be around 1600 give or take how you use the rex engine. It will be a long time before an i3 reaches 100,000 miles. The question would be how many tires would have been used as this will be the biggest single cost other than insurance.

It's a motor bike engine so going by most BMW Taiwan made motor bike engines it could be a lot or not much. It all depends if it's used much but it will be at least every 2-3 months which is automatic to use up the petrol before is goes off in the tank.

Hi kalybron

Welcome to the forum.

It might make sense to update your profile or tell us where you live, as maintenance costs and offers can vary for territories. I live in the UK and purchased my i3 REx with a service package, which covers the 2 services in the first 5 years. It cost me £375 and covers labour and fluids (incl for the REx).

I've had my car for almost a year now and am just over 14k miles, of which 92.3% were electric. Looking at the community stats in the BMW app, the highest mileage appears to be 53k miles, so assuming these drivers had their cars from the beginning, some have covered these distances in roughly 2 years!

Realistically, you'll have to make more service allowances for a REx, as it is a traditional engine and will cause you more issues over time, when compared to the pure EV. Having said that, it is too early in the lifespan of the BEV and REx to make reliable statements about this.

Hope this helps, keep us updated.

Where you are will help!

In the USA, everything is covered for the first 4-years or 50K.

Oil changes, spark plugs, antifreeze, brake fluid, brakes...most normal things on any car, but the REx only has two sparkplugs, so that can help. It does take a bit more labor to access it, so that hurts.

Removed 'tires' from the list, as I was mistaken. Keep in mind, though, that the tire manufacturer's warranty may still apply and provide some relief if there is a problem. Also note that if there is an alignment issue, if noted before 1K miles, BMW will cover that as well. It will not cover that after 1K.

jadnashuanh said:
Where you are will help!

In the USA, everything is covered for the first 4-years or 50K.

Oil changes, spark plugs, antifreeze, brake fluid, tires, brakes...most normal things on any car, but the REx only has two sparkplugs, so that can help. It does take a bit more labor to access it, so that hurts.

do you mean everything except Oil changes, spark plugs, antifreeze, brake fluid, tires, and brakes? i was led to believe I'd have to buy all these things.

It's my understanding that in the USA, there are NO user costs for any maintenance during the 4-year warranty period. Now, BMW has said that starting sometime this year (don't remember the exact date), brake pads will no longer be covered, but at this time, they are also included. This also includes things like wiper blades (annually). http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/bmwmaintenanceprogram.aspx?mobileoverride=true

jadnashuanh said:
It's my understanding that in the USA, there are NO user costs for any maintenance during the 4-year warranty period. Now, BMW has said that starting sometime this year (don't remember the exact date), brake pads will no longer be covered, but at this time, they are also included. This also includes things like wiper blades (annually). http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/bmwmaintenanceprogram.aspx?mobileoverride=true

I just wondered because you said "tires" in your post.

Exclusions from coverage include the following:
Items reimbursable under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Gasoline and diesel fuel
Gasoline and diesel fuel additive
Diesel glow plugs
Diesel particulate filter
Windshield washer additive (except when in conjunction with scheduled maintenance)
Tires, wheel alignment, tire balance and rotation

Old post, but are oil changes covered for second owner if the car is less than 4/50,000?

I think it depends on the actual age of the vehicle. The newest ones have a shorter warranty than say the 2014 MY (I think it changed in 2016 in the USA). The older warranty, I think was transferable...the newer one, maybe, but it may require a fee.

Yes, my 2016 had 4 years maintenance , but 2017 has only 3.
The dealer was complaining and was pissed off , as they make money by free service plans, by milking BMW

And boy, they do milk BMW .
I was astonished with the amount of milking , and i think , i finally understood, why the BMWs were so much more costlier. Its this free service business model.
In a way, this reduction is good. as they should reduce prices of new cars.

Hey evman: this question is off topic but I see you're using a solar powered TOU plan. How is this working for you? I'm considering solar but I can't seem to justify the TOU savings. I'm paying a flat $.175 per kWh and my electric bill is about $50 higher per month now with my i3. I used to pay around $145 per month for gas.

Going to TOU would only save me $.05 per kWh. Is it worth it?

It really depends on ,
How much energy do you use on average on your car. if you will add more EVs
If you can L2 at off peak, if you can time shift your dishwasher etc ( other members in your home)

I am in CA, energy is very costly. Also they have price quota tiers , of net energy consumption per home, after which prices jump.

Because of quota, it made sense for me to do this.
The prices you mentioned are not high. But they will keep going higher in future.

Ideally EV should be charged when solar hours in day or at night , as per energy duck curve , to be greener. This is very important.

Also your personal interest. I had to do it :) I have my small smart home too....

Hi, we hope to collect our Rex this week. I live in the UK. Its a 2017 model. Up to this time servicing packages have not been mentioned by the main dealership. I wonder whether service plans are still available because of this, it is certainly something I intend to raise because there seems to be so many different stories out there. The engine will need fluid changes etc, but how often BMW recommends this and at what cost is an unknown quantity at this time. If the ability to spread the cost is still available, it is something we would take up because the dealerships are not cheap places to visit and the correct servicing of these vehicles would be essential. Previous BMW's I've owned have always had the service internals determined by the way the car has been driven. Any recent experience of the costs involved for servicing would be greatly appreciated.

Maintenance is just crazy.

Have several part replace and it's always a struggle to negotiate with BMW.

E.g. updated the map from connected drive and the navi stoppe functioning right away.

Went to the dealer who couldn't fix it and they recommended to replace it or live with out (not an option i a BEV). BMW offered to share the cost, but of course they could when the price after reduction was still 6900 Dkr. = 1060$

Have drivven 100.000 km = 62.000 miles and I don't think that service cost are any lower ordinary BMW prices. It was cheaper to drive a Alfa Romeo Mito.

Apart from that the BMW app i horrible. If you want a BEV go for another company that supports there own brand better.

Back