Noisy charger unit whilst preconditioning

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiler02

Hi
I'm new to the i3 fraternity (1 month) and have a question I need help with, checking on previous reports on this forum I have seen in USA some problems with the charger relay energising and de-energising repeatedly whilst preconditioning, with a software fix from the charger unit supplier.
Is this fix available in the UK my unit was supplied by Rolec, or can the problem be solved by a software change to the car charging set up.
Otherwise the car is brilliant.

The latest s/w update available for the USA includes a routine that addresses that...so, it is available. Now, whether BMW in the UK has made it part of their software, can't say. Best bet...go to the dealer and complain. IF the s/w tweak is available, you should get an update for free.

November software update in the UK cures this problem. You do however need to complain to your i dealer as this update is not part of a recall programme. That said, you should also ask for the new engine mount bolts to be fitted at the same time (which also involves a software change to cut torque when wheel loses contact).

Back