Can the camera be used for an autopilot?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3marc

The i3 already uses it to adjust the distance to the car ahead so I was wondering if there is a software upgrade in the wings that could let the i3 maintain lanes if condition permits... just like the last Tesla upgrade.

This would be a definite killer app and could improve safety quite a bit... assuming the driver does what a plane pilot does i.e monitor the automation 100% of the time.

Another natural question is whether or not one can hack into the video feed, especially after an accident or dangerous situation... I am sure there is a way for BMW to recover 10-20 seconds of the footage in that camera as it would totally make sense from a legal POV.

As cars with Driving Assist Plus know (and display) the current speed limit taken from GPS and camera data it would be good to see the car's speed cut to speed limit (and accelerate afterwards) if following a vehicle exceeding the limit. Ford and others incorporate such software in their latest models.

If you live in the EU, your i3 could self-steer in Active Cruise Control up to 25mph or so. If you live in NA it cannot. Same systems in the same car, different software. Perhaps this can be coded, but I doubt it.

I think I also just saw the remote valet demonstration as well. I am not sure if it was real or "fake" in the video or not. It was one where the people get out of the car and the i3 would go hunt around for a parking space and then park itself. Then when they come out, they call the car and it comes back.
So I think what you need to do is become cocktail buddies with whoever designs that sort of thing because I think that technology and more already kinda exists. :)

In Europe, yes, the cars can self-steer up to 25mph (if properly equipped/optioned).

In the US, no, It requires additional hardware, not just coding.

The camera and the fact it can park itself could indicate the steering can be controlled by software... and object recognition is done by the camera for the active cruise control.

So there shouldn't be any reason it couldn't pick up on freeway lanes and stay in them. I do hope that software update is coming.

On another note I am sure the camera records the last moments during a drive so footage could be pulled out after a crash for example.

Another hidden feature I am sure. It would be cool if the mobile app could let one tap into the video feed when the car is parked, or if the alarm is triggered.

Back