Universal snap-in adapter for all current Apple iPhones

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterize

Xt0VuzFE

Can anyone speculate how this connector, announced yesterday, would hardwire into the i3? Inside the arm rest?

"The new Connect Universal snap-in adapter connects all Apple mobile phones with the car using a lightning adapter. All users have to do is hook up their iPhone, and the communications and entertainment content stored on it comes effortlessly alive inside their car. As well as charging the phone, the snap-in adapter also acts as a safe and secure holder with its built-in bracket. To stop the adapter and connecting cable getting in each other’s way, however, the bracket can be moved into various positions or removed altogether. The connection with the exterior aerial is via inductive coupling."

Source: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/pressDetail.html?title=christmas-gift-ideas-the-new-bmw-original-accessories&outputChannelId=6&id=T0196784EN&left_menu_item=node__4308

Short answer is it won't, at least in the US.

The snap-in adapters work in BMWs equipped with the Smart Phone Integration option, which puts a universal dock under the center armrest. Then you just buy the snap-in adapter for your particular handset. Since most people change phones more often than they change cars, the idea is that you can make the new phone work by just changing the adapter.

However, BMW NA doesn't offer the Smart Phone Integration option on the i3. It might be available in other markets, I'm not sure.

It's pure speculation on my part but I suspect that the increasing functionality of Bluetooth and ubiquity of USB have made the Smart Phone Integration idea a bit long in the tooth. Didn't see it during a quick check of the i8 configurator either. Makes me wonder if BMW i. sees the future as wireless.

I don't think its retrofittable - as it requires 6NS and appropriate wiring. I think some 3/5series always have the wiring so its mostly coding to enable + base plate. I am not sure its the same with the i3

506.png

I'm fairly sure the 2014 North American-spec i3 is outfitted with Option 1. For the snap-in adapter, Option 2 appears necessary. Probably an expensive retrofit.

Source: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1Z23&mospid=56090&btnr=51_9419&hg=51&fg=35

Here in europe this option is sold as "Enhanced Bluetooth Phone Prep" and includes the cradle, an additional antenna (with associated wiring) and (depending on country) BMW apps support in connecteddrive.
By default it also enables BMW Office applications... email, calendar etc... though these only seem to work perfectly with blackberry 5 or earlier.

It's a fairly cheap option at order time. ~€350

There is also a universal adapter:
http://www.baum-bmwshop24.de/BMW-Sn...Adapter+Universal&utm_content=Mailing_7149242

Do you mean you don't have the snap in adapter in your US i3s?
I just bought a 2015 i3 here in Canada, and I have a snap in adapter and what looks like connections to it. Does this mean I can buy an adapter for my iPhone6 for it?

...Roger

US i3's do NOT have snap in adapters. But will probably get them at facelift.

What is the loss? Who wants to have to do that every single time you get in and out of your car? I would grow very tired of it. Phone stays in my pocket or in the cup holder.

imolazhp said:
What is the loss?

- Music does sound better (vs bluetooth)
- Phone reception should be better because it is using the outside aerial
- Phone gets charged (and aircooled)
- BMW apps work (little interest to me)

But I have to say that, if I'm using it (longer trips only), I'm forgetting to take my iPhone from the car 50% of the time...

Regards, Steven

Stevei3 said:
imolazhp said:
What is the loss?

- Music does sound better (vs bluetooth)
- Phone reception should be better because it is using the outside aerial
- Phone gets charged (and aircooled)
- BMW apps work (little interest to me)

But I have to say that, if I'm using it (longer trips only), I'm forgetting to take my iPhone from the car 50% of the time...

Regards, Steven

All of these things also occur by plugging into the USB port under the arm rest. Well, I guess not an antenna extension, but if you are on a good carrier, reception is typically not an issue. My phone doesn't need to be air cooled either. I really don't think I would use it if I had it.

Back