Aftermarket wheels & Winter tires for Canada

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmilingBuddah

Hello Everyone,

I am close to pulling the trigger on an i3. My Volt lease is up and GM has very few 2016 Volts coming to Canada (and don't seem interested in selling me one either)

The new Ontario rebates give a $13,000! rebate for the i3 (rex too).

I was at the Auto show in Toronto and was quoted $2400 for BMW wheel/tire package.

Is there any Canadian suppliers with aftermarket wheels? I woud even get steel wheels as I like the utiltarian look and don't have to worry about cleaning them as much. They mean 'business'.

One online suppliers website went to an 18" wheel (canadawheels.com) but it wasn't any cheaper. All my other cars I have done winter wheels/tires for under $1000. An extra $2400 may be a deal breaker.

Thanks for any advice, insights and comments.

There are only two winter tires available that I know of in NA that fit the i3: the OEM Bridgestone Blizzak and the Nokian R2. Don't know if there's enough clearance for an 18" wheel on the i3 - the rotor and suspension may not like it, and you may not find any more tires that would fit it that end up with the same OD. The offset is critical as even trying the 5.5" OEM wheel on the front will trash the tire.

I think I heard that Canada does not use the TPMS and uses the rotation rate and computer instead. IF that's true, that should save close to $400 or so at retail. Import duties are likely nasty, but you can get them considerably less expensive in the USA.

Thanks Jadnashuanh,

Unfortunately the Canadian dollar is tanking and bringing tires and wheels up from the United States will realize no real savings.

Thanks for your insight on tire sizes as well, it makes perfect sense.

My research online came up with only the two tires, I was hoping to get some less expensive wheels.

Cheers!

Back