Crash Photos & Video - 2014 i3 REX vs Oldsmobile Alero

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leasi3

Driving to work last week this happened. I stopped the i3 behind a big line of stopped traffic, then got hit from behind and pushed into a Malibu ahead of the i3, which got pushed into truck in front of the Malibu.

My i3 went inoperable due to the emergency battery disconnect firing. I don't have a dollar estimate yet, but body shop says it should take 3 weeks or so, unless they find unexpected levels of hidden damage.

Link to comment with pictures, in case hot-linking doesn't work for images.

http://jalopnik.com/that-was-me-that-got-hit-last-week-on-rt-9-south-near-1736070755

1470954851766791086.jpg

1470954851667196590.jpg

And me, I'm still sore, but doing well. I was belted in, the belt tensioner worked, bags didn't fire. Passenger in the Alero was transported to hospital by ambulance.

Leasi3 said:
My i3 went inoperable due to the emergency battery disconnect firing.
First I've heard of this ... sounds like a fail-safe to prevent electrocution by the HV battery. Good to know. Thanks for the report, and speedy recovery.
By the look of the crumpled Alero, I'm shocked your i3's glass tailgate didn't shatter. In fact, your car appears relatively unscathed in the photo. If it has the rear-view camera in the bumper, was it damaged?

Glad that you are OK. You'd be lucky if it only takes 3 weeks to fix - in my case it took 5 weeks. I got hit at the front by a guy flying out of a gas station - all front paneling and bumper had to be replaced but there was almost no damage to structural components. FYI, the at fault party insurance paid for my rental gas as my car does not burn such and BMW NA sent me a check for lost time while the car was in the shop (for leased vehicles).

websterize said:
By the look of the crumpled Alero, I'm shocked your i3's glass tailgate didn't shatter. In fact, your car appears relatively unscathed in the photo. If it has the rear-view camera in the bumper, was it damaged?

I too was amazed it didn't shatter. Having seen that thread on here showing a tailgate blown out I fully expected to see it smashed when i went to inspect the damage. The lady that hit me started braking late, but she was braking when she hit me so the nose of the Alero was very low when it hit the i3. (This also makes me worried that there might be a lot of hidden damage.)

I don't have the rear-view camera. The two license plate lamps got knocked out of the bumper and were hanging on their lead wires.

I don't know for a fact that the i3 has Battery Safety Terminals, but most if not all modern BMWs have been equipped with that for years on the 12V side. (It was mentioned to me by the body shop.) The BST explosively disconnects that heavy starter cable from the battery, leaving just a smaller fused conductor to get power to the BMW Assist system & flashers. Apparently in major enough crashes all modern BMW's become un-startable even if they could have been safely driven away from the scene.

rtanov said:
Glad that you are OK. You'd be lucky if it only takes 3 weeks to fix - in my case it took 5 weeks. I got hit at the front by a guy flying out of a gas station - all front paneling and bumper had to be replaced but there was almost no damage to structural components. FYI, the at fault party insurance paid for my rental gas as my car does not burn such and BMW NA sent me a check for lost time while the car was in the shop (for leased vehicles).

Funny, I did that exact math in my head when the body shop predicted 3 weeks. I'm worried it may be even worse as I expect that there is a lot of hidden damage.

Why did BMW NA cut you a check? Was it for an excessive delay in the delivery of repair parts?

A co-worker of mine had joked that I should seek recovery for my gasoline costs. Now that I know it is possible I will go after that.

Bonus - Video from my dashcam of the accident, sadly facing the wrong way.

------> https://youtu.be/CqSALUQK8Y4 <-------

One more photo.

When the flatbed dropped me and my car off at auto body shop, they placed my i3 (closer to camera) right next to another one in for repairs!

i3.jpg

Leasi3 said:
Why did BMW NA cut you a check? Was it for an excessive delay in the delivery of repair parts?

-[/size]
This was a compensation for lost time as I was still paying the lease while the car was in the shop. IIRC I first talked to iConcierge to try to speed up the parts delivery as one part was showing two months to ship from Germany acc. to the body shop people. The iConsierge referred me to BMW NA and mentioned that I can get compensated for the lost time. BMW NA did help in expediting the delivery and instructed me to call back when I get possession of the fixed car. I did and they initiated the reimbursement process. I got a check but oddly it was from the dealer who I leased the car from not BMW NA. SO, I'm thinking that it might be the dealer's decision whether they will pay anything. I got $500 which is almost two monthly lease payments. :D

UPDATE

It took 40 days and 40 nights and I now have my i3 REX back. Work looks great to me and the car drove well for the 10 miles it took me to get back to work.

Final bill (still being negotiated between body shop, BMW dealer & insurance) will wind up just a bit over $10,000, not including towing and my rental car.

Second Update.

The other i3, the one behind mine in the pictures above -- It was a total loss. There was some damage to the carbon fiber box in the foot well area and I was told that it was uneconomical to repair.

Glad you are ok and now have your car back. All of these high repair bills (and i3's being totaled), everyone be ready for the hikes in insurance costs.

websterize said:
Leasi3 said:
My i3 went inoperable due to the emergency battery disconnect firing.
First I've heard of this ... sounds like a fail-safe to prevent electrocution by the HV battery. Good to know. Thanks for the report, and speedy recovery.

My e46 has this too, on the 12v, I'm not sure what year BMW started this, but I am sure it has saved some lives.

Leasi3 said:
UPDATE Work looks great to me and the car drove well for the 10 miles it took me to get back to work. .......................(other car:) There was some damage to the carbon fiber box in the foot well area and I was told that it was uneconomical to repair.
The entire subject of repairing these things is interesting.

Composites repair comment about airplane structures: "Airbus personnel explain that a hand-layed, wet layup patch that is cured on the repaired surface is neither appropriate nor currently approved and certified for aircraft primary structures."-- http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/composites-repair

I'm just learning about how to repair major structures. (And trying not to think about what hard jolts do to battery cells....).
You can see how the long carbon fibers are woven together and embedded in resin, creating a problem.

I have to recommend that one always lease a carbon composite structure car, since resale value plummets after accidents. Its of course true for any metal car, yet this composites thing has exceeded the ability of car repair shops to fix it right.

From what I've gathered, many times an overlapping doubler patch is applied. Though I doubt BMW would do what Lamborghini does: "However, if Lamborghini determined the damage was to a critical chassis component, it would send one of its specially trained technicians, who understands both carbon composites and the vehicle’s engineering, to fix the car. The automaker calls this elite group its “flying doctors” — there are currently only four of them, worldwide — and says they are on call 24/7/365 to travel to any location where an Aventador’s composite structure has been damaged." http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/composites-repair

The chassis on the i3 is designed to be repaired unless the damage extends too far. The front and rear projections of the chassis can be cut at precise points, and the appropriate new section can be installed to replace it. Depending on how far back the damage is, each of the available repair sections is slightly longer.

FWIW, BMW has used the explosive battery disconnect for a long time...the goal is to prevent sparks from igniting things. There are actually two outlets on the battery, and the emergency lights and phone connection are still powered.

That's all fine and good in theory, but back here in the real world any motor vehicle crash that damages the carbon fiber cell ( to the point that one of those large replacement panels needs to be cut down and glued in ) will lead to a total loss (for insurance purposes) of any i3 currently on the road.

This came to me directly from the BMW trained/certified body shop that fixed up my i3 after that Alero hit me.

Go back and look at the picture of the i3 next to mine at the body shop. When it came in I was told that the front bumper was still there, it was taken off as part of the tear down. That i3 was a total loss because the carbon fiber cell got damaged in a small area.

Back