Pedestrian detection not working

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikestaf35

Hello I've just bought an ex demo i3 Rex, I'm not sure if I'm not just using it correct but, I can't seem to get pedestrian detection and traffic jam assist to work, the cruise control assist works.
Pedestrian detection - I asked my wife to stand in front of the car, I drove slow towards her but the car didn't try to brake and no pedestrian symbol showed on the display, I then tried again in a different location and still the same, the weather conditions were good, not raining, sun was out but not too bright and windscreen clear, the button under the hazard buttons is green so system is on

Traffic jam assist - when I push the button to turn it on, a message appears on the display saying - only available on motorways OFF

I'm wondering could the front camera behind the mirror be faulty?
If any one has any suggestions I would welcome them

The adaptive cruise control and pedestrian detection system use the same camera, near the rear view mirror, so if the former works the latter likely does as well. In two years, I've seen the pedestrian warning symbol in the instrument cluster only three times; the automatic braking function engaged only once. I've had many pedestrians cross the street in front of me without warnings because I was slowing or too far away.

Based on my experience, I believe the system only issues alerts when the computer determines an accident is likely and engages the brakes only when one is imminent. The US-market manual states that the pedestrian system is active between 6 and 35 mph so it's likely you either weren't going fast enough to engage the system or didn't get close enough to truly endanger your pedestrian.

I can't offer any advice on traffic jam since BMWUSA doesn't offer the feature due to liability concerns.

Thank you for your reply, I did get close enough as I pushed both a touch but I will try at above 6mph
Thanks again

mikestaf35 said:
Sorry I thought the active cruise uses the radar
There is unfortunately no radar. ACC uses a medium-range relatively low-resolution monochrome camera behind the rear-view mirror that can't penetrate fog, heavy precipitation, or a dirty windshield and can be blinded by direct sunlight.

Everything is a compromise...using a radar range finder would be a constant additional load verses a much lower power camera system. I've not tried mine in heavy fog, but have had it confused and shut itself off ('normal' cruise control can still be used) because of dark shadows on a sunny day.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice I think looking in to it the speed needs to be above 6 mph at least and traffic jam is only for what bmw determine to be motorways, was my expectations being to high and not being aware of the requirements

Back