max batt kappa and range boost: I001-16-03-505

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKi3BEV

This update has boosted my permanently low max batt kappa from ~17.2 to ~19.3

I'm also getting massive range boost both on the guessometer and the SOC % which is now visible on the control instrument display.

Prior to update: ~64miles displayed when at 100%.
Now: ~93 displayed when at 100%.
More Importantly: Much more of the blue rectangular bars of the battery blocks in the control display are shown after the same regular long distance journey, than before the update.

Driving style is the same and temperature before and after update is the same. I continue to precondition everyday as always.

You're not the first to report this. If that is 93 miles of real range then this is a huge step forward. If BMW is able to make more of the battery usable and increase efficiency to 100+ this would make the BEV that much better.

thefuturenow said:
You're not the first to report this. If that is 93 miles of real range then this is a huge step forward. If BMW is able to make more of the battery usable and increase efficiency to 100+ this would make the BEV that much better.

Could it be that the software update unlocked a little more useable kwh from the battery pack?? Similar to what Tesla do if you pay for an update from the Model S 70 ??
I'm not sure what/how they did it, I just know that I love this car even more!

UKi3BEV said:
thefuturenow said:

Could it be that the software update unlocked a little more useable kwh from the battery pack?? Similar to what Tesla do if you pay for an update from the Model S 70 ??
I'm not sure what/how they did it, I just know that I love this car even more!

I'm pretty sure that's what happened in combination with other efficiencies they probably realized while designing the 2017 model, but if the estimated range for you is now 50% higher they must be more liberal with their calculations. Is the 90+ mile range sustained as the total while you drive or does it gradually lose (undriven) miles?

Wait a few days, let it get used to your driving again. That reading can be all over the place too, just fyi. Some owners have reported better numbers after taking the car down to or below 10% SOC, then charging back up. I have experienced this myself as well, so I do this once per month.

Back