Coding the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UtahMTB said:
That's what I figured, but v.58.1_PSdZData_Lite is the latest I could find... I think it only get's to the Nov update... how long till the new one shows up after an update is released?

I use bimmerfest for my coding software needs, just join their forum, go to the coding forum and there is a sticky at the top where you can request someone PM you the latest MEGA links to the latest software versions, here is a link to the thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638188&page=369

thefuturenow said:
So no issues with BWM in the U.S. doing this with a lease?

Why would there be? BMW owners and leasee's have been coding and modifying their cars for years on end. I coded mine in less than an hour after driving it off the lot, it is the most expensive car I've ever owned.

DeJay58 said:
Do you have a link?

I use bimmerfest for my coding software needs, just join their forum, go to the coding forum and there is a sticky at the top where you can request someone PM you the latest MEGA links to the latest software versions, here is a link to the thread.

thefuturenow said:
I've heard of dealers offering the ability to code the i3 in states other than California, whose EV policies are why restrictions such as utilizing 1.9 gallons of the 2.4 gallon tank were put into place. Would it seem normal to ask the dealer I'm purchasing my REX from to code it? It would save a lot of headache to be able to turn on the REX prematurely to prevent slowdowns on the highway especially as I'll be driving the vehicle ~ 130 miles home :shock:.

Those dealers are probably few and far between, but if you ask, all they can say is no. Or they'll want to charge you something crazy. The cable is $20 on eBay and the software is free, you just need a laptop. I bought my car 425 miles away from home, coded it after driving it off the lot and used HSOC and 2.4gal of fuel to get home, no problem. I had not ever previously done any coding before. You just need to prepare. But 130 miles in warm weather shouldn't be a problem really, my car showed 180 miles of range this morning, granted it was with the 2.4gal fuel tank unlocked. But using the AC and hilly terrain can certainly knock an i3 battery pack down quickly.

imolazhp said:
UtahMTB said:
That's what I figured, but v.58.1_PSdZData_Lite is the latest I could find... I think it only get's to the Nov update... how long till the new one shows up after an update is released?

thefuturenow said:
So no issues with BWM in the U.S. doing this with a lease?

Why would there be? BMW owners and leasee's have been coding and modifying their cars for years on end. I coded mine in less than an hour after driving it off the lot, it is the most expensive car I've ever owned.

DeJay58 said:
Do you have a link?

thefuturenow said:
I've heard of dealers offering the ability to code the i3 in states other than California, whose EV policies are why restrictions such as utilizing 1.9 gallons of the 2.4 gallon tank were put into place. Would it seem normal to ask the dealer I'm purchasing my REX from to code it? It would save a lot of headache to be able to turn on the REX prematurely to prevent slowdowns on the highway especially as I'll be driving the vehicle ~ 130 miles home :shock:.

Those dealers are probably few and far between, but if you ask, all they can say is no. Or they'll want to charge you something crazy. The cable is $20 on eBay and the software is free, you just need a laptop. I bought my car 425 miles away from home, coded it after driving it off the lot and used HSOC and 2.4gal of fuel to get home, no problem. I had not ever previously done any coding before. You just need to prepare. But 130 miles in warm weather shouldn't be a problem really, my car showed 180 miles of range this morning, granted it was with the 2.4gal fuel tank unlocked. But using the AC and hilly terrain can certainly knock an i3 battery pack down quickly.

I wouldn't have an issue coding it myself, but I have warranty concerns. Even though BMW is well-aware of it, I'm worried that if the car doesn't shift into drive or has an issue and needs to be towed that BMW will blame it on the coding. But maybe BMW makes it so easy to code to encourage people to enable these features if they choose to do so?

thefuturenow said:
I wouldn't have an issue coding it myself, but I have warranty concerns. Even though BMW is well-aware of it, I'm worried that if the car doesn't shift into drive or has an issue and needs to be towed that BMW will blame it on the coding. But maybe BMW makes it so easy to code to encourage people to enable these features if they choose to do so?

Don't let me or anyone talk you into doing something your not comfortable with but let me reiterate that owners have been tweaking with coding for years and years; as a long time BMW enthusiast I have not yet heard of one instance of a warranty claim being denied due to tweaking with coding. It is very unfortunate that some popular EV blogs have published articles trying to scare i3 owners into thinking they will loose their warranty if they code their car. My car has been in twice for updates, the car was coded both times, I never mentioned anything about it to the dealer and they never said anything about it to me. I really don't think they care. It's not like you are hacking the car, hacking is changing the code or how the code is read, all you are doing is changing selections that are already there, one might compare it to choosing km/hour as opposed to mi/hour, it's just done through a different level of access. Best of luck!

My first foray into BMW coding yesterday was a success- I enabled all the usual functions. However it seems that the deceleration when the "gas" pedal is released is not as strong as it used to be. Is it possible to alter this function? Is there a way to return all the coding settings to the defaults?

The safest way to return things to their default settings may be too late for you now if you did not save the original file prior to altering it! Otherwise, just send the original file back to the car.

The coding instructions I used didn't say anything about backing up... I think I saved a random file or two, will check if they are usable. But I didn't change anything outside of the recommended values. Could the coding process itself affect the car behavior, just like it did with the distance estimates? Apparently some data is erased and has to be relearned.
When one of the displays went through the reboot during the coding, the other one was flashing angry messages about this or that not working. It all returned to normal in a minute or two. I thought it was normal, can you confirm?
Maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing, the car is only a few days old.

FWIW, when making changes like this, it's always a good practice to save the original file(s) in a safe place. This applies to many things, including updates to your computer at home. The car does not have a 'restore' feature, as BMW didn't plan on users modifying it like this. In the USA, a dealer can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove whatever you changed caused the problem...IOW, you can make changes to things, but beware, if you mess it up, and the car becomes problematic as a result, they do not have to fix it for free, but the burden on them is to prove you caused it. A configurable setting does not just change itself, so that would seem to suffice for proof.

I do not have any experience with coding this car, so can't help further. I gleaned what I said from reading various forums of people that have done it.

I didn't think that backing up the configuration was an option. I found files that were saved automatically and a software to analyze them. Anyway, after driving for a little bit more, I'm convinced it was a false alarm and the car behaves the way it should. I have to admit I was too excited about the coding and rushed things a bit. I had a longish trip the next day and wanted to have control over REX.

gt1 said:
My first foray into BMW coding yesterday was a success- I enabled all the usual functions. However it seems that the deceleration when the "gas" pedal is released is not as strong as it used to be. Is it possible to alter this function? Is there a way to return all the coding settings to the defaults?

It's your mind playing tricks. Many owners have commented about the regen not being that strong after the first couple of weeks. You get used to the regen after a few days and stop noticing it as much. That's all. If you drive another car for a while and then come back to the i3, you'll notice it come on strong (and will likely fall in love all over again).

Regen IS a software settable value, but I'm not sure it's readily available. When first released in the USA, the i3 had higher regen. That fall of 2014 (if I remember correctly), on one of the s/w updates, they dropped it. Someone said the 'value' changed from 27 to 24, so apparently, there's some more range available. No idea where that parameter is. Personally, I preferred the higher value.

Could someone please share links to download E-Sys 3.26.1, PSdZData 54.1 Lite, and any other files I need to re code my i3 after my i3 was upgraded on my last visit to the dealer.

Thanks,

Go to this link
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9944791#post9944791
and post a request for the links. You'll get a response from Shawn Sheridan with the links.

You might have to register on the site to be able to post.

Hold mode on 2017 Rex. It seems there are new options for the 2017 Rex and Hold Mode

the options are:

1st option Set to:
nicht_activ
Rex
PHEV

2nd option Set to:
Werte=02

I selected Rex an it shows the menu in the nav but says it is not active and to look at my operations manual or something to that effect.

technog0d said:
Hold mode on 2017 Rex. It seems there are new options for the 2017 Rex and Hold Mode

the options are:

1st option Set to:
nicht_activ
Rex
PHEV

2nd option Set to:
Werte=02

I selected Rex an it shows the menu in the nav but says it is not active and to look at my operations manual or something to that effect.

Seeing the same behavior after the dealer updated the software and wiped all previous codes.

Also, is there any option to keep the 'Ready' state active even when the door is open?

Anyone know how to code traffic on business nav?

I got it to work if I disable Live Assist, but then I can't send a location from the Connected app (messages).

Anyone know how to get both working?

Hi guys!
I tried to Increase brightness of 2015 i3's DRL via E-sys. I used the Coding Parameters (cheat sheet) I found from this forum. But I am not able to locate the code line for this specific purpose. Under 3062, there are no such things as MAPPING_STANDL_V_L_PWM_LEVEL_1 or MAPPING_STANDL_V_R_PWM_LEVEL_1. Any of you successfully had this done? Thank you!

Here are the codes from the sheet:
BDC Body Module:

Increase DRL Brightness to be brighter (increases voltage to the LED Bulbs)
3062  MAPPING_STANDL_V_L_PWM_LEVEL_1 set to: 13.7v
3062  MAPPING_STANDL_V_R_PWM_LEVEL_1 set to: 13.7v
3062  MAPPING_PARKL_1_V_L_PWM_1_LEFT set to: 13.7v
3062  MAPPING_PARKL_1_V_L_PWM_2_RIGHT set to: 13.7v

technog0d said:

the options are:

1st option Set to:
nicht_activ
Rex
PHEV

2nd option Set to:
Werte=02

select REx. the reason why its not active is because you have over 75%. lower than that you will be able to hold the charge.

I have a 2015 Rex that I purchased as a CPO and tried coding the 2.4 gas tank but when I code the 3005 tnk_liter_rechts to mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts, it keeps reverting back to mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts, mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts_us_1607, anyone having this issue and is there a fix for this? Using esys pro with latest pdsz data files 59.1, need some help thanks guys.

MriLLesti3 said:
I have a 2015 Rex that I purchased as a CPO and tried coding the 2.4 gas tank but when I code the 3005 tnk_liter_rechts to mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts, it keeps reverting back to mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts, mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts_us_1607, anyone having this issue and is there a fix for this? Using esys pro with latest pdsz data files 59.1, need some help thanks guys.
I think what you're describing is that you aren't able to code your car to take full advantage of the 2.4 gal tank. If that's the case, I have a friend who has the same issue with his 2015. I'm certainly not an expert, but maybe it has something to do with the current version of the software. The 2017's come from the factory already coded to use the full 2.4 gallons so it just maybe the current software won't let you "re-code" it for that value. Just a hunch on my part and again, I'm no expert...not even close to an expert.

theothertom said:
MriLLesti3 said:
I think what you're describing is that you aren't able to code your car to take full advantage of the 2.4 gal tank. If that's the case, I have a friend who has the same issue with his 2015. I'm certainly not an expert, but maybe it has something to do with the current version of the software. The 2017's come from the factory already coded to use the full 2.4 gallons so it just maybe the current software won't let you "re-code" it for that value. Just a hunch on my part and again, I'm no expert...not even close to an expert.

why do you suggesting that 2017 model were coded for 2.4? i have the same issue and keeps reverting back.
mine is 2017 model and total empty when i put gas it stopped on 2.1G

Back