Full vs partial tank

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Hi,

So the physical tank size is 2.9 gal (?) but the engine only runs ~2.0 gal before it reports 'out of gas.' So when I filled up, two clicks and done. But this means:
  • 0.9 to 2.9 gallons - range of actual fuel in tank
So I'm wondering if I run the tank down, again, but only partially fill. Say I add say 1.1 to 1.2 gallons so there is only 2.0 to 2.1 gallons in the tank. Would the car still give me two gallons or a full tank indication?

The reason I ask is on our trip to Oklahoma, let's say I run the REx out of gas and pull over to add a spare gallon. Now I should have ~0.9 + 1.0 gallons ~= 1.9 gallons. Will the car think I've got 2 gallons or 1.9 gallons in the tank and let me burn the rest?

This potentially would let me run 72 + ~72 miles with a single 1 gallon spare added. Then when I reach the next gas station, top both off and keep on truckin'.

I need to re-run my earlier REx gas test and will check but I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

I think it's 2.4g, but that's somewhat irrelevant. Unless you have a 2017 MY REx with the larger battery, and none that I know of in the USA have been delivered, you can only use 1.9g of whatever is in the tank. The car isn't technically running out of fuel...the computer shuts it down. The car knows when there's only X fuel left, and shuts off. To get it to read full, you'd have to actually fill it, but it will read empty when it's not because of what the computer says.

Testing revealed it is not just 'count' fuel burned but apparently an accurate tank measurement. Adding 1 gallon brought the fuel indicator to 1/2 tank exactly. <DARN>

Repeating the earlier benchmark without the wheelchair returned 36.4 MPG, essentially the same as the earlier benchmark with the wheelchair and cover. Similar conditions: +90F; 65 mph.

Bob Wilson

i3_tow_150.jpg

The 1 gallon, spare can fits in the frunk nicely which is just above the pressurized fuel tank.

i3_tow_160.jpg

i3_tow_170.jpg

Road speed included the decceleration to a stop and subsequent acceleration after adding the spare gallon. This is the net highway speed.

i3_tow_180.jpg

This block time included walking the dogs at the same rest stop the gallon of gas was added. Trip duration, 2:09, for 107.7 miles giving block-to-block speed of 50.1 mph.

Back