Are the 2017 i3 Rex delivering in CA yet?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisplsd

I have a 2017 which has been sitting at Port Hueneme for over two weeks and has been complete for days. The dealer has no idea why they aren't shipping (mine and others). He says maybe they are waiting to clear the 2016 inventory in California, since he cant see any 17s that have been delivered. Does this make sense?

Sometimes the manufacturer holds all new models at the port until there are enough to provide inventory to all the dealers at once. Also, there could be a pending update to hardware or software.

It might be they're waiting for the 'official' release date. There's a federal regulation that dictates how long you can call a certain model the same model year, and releasing it early might mean that the 2018's might not be ready. Or, the final values for the sticker's efficiency ratings have not been approved. Plus, the other issues already mentioned. Sometimes, they'll release them to the dealer, but the dealer can't deliver it until everything has cleared...usually better to just hold it so it can be delivered once it reaches the dealership.

jadnashuanh said:
It might be they're waiting for the 'official' release date. There's a federal regulation that dictates how long you can call a certain model the same model year, and releasing it early might mean that the 2018's might not be ready. Or, the final values for the sticker's efficiency ratings have not been approved. Plus, the other issues already mentioned. Sometimes, they'll release them to the dealer, but the dealer can't deliver it until everything has cleared...usually better to just hold it so it can be delivered once it reaches the dealership.

I suspect that -- similar to what happened when the very first i3s were left sitting on the dock in CA for MANY weeks in 2014 -- BMW is still awaiting some form of official approval from the EPA or CARB or some other governmental body -- as would, in particular, be required for whatever changes they have made in the 2017 model.

i got the reminder email and card in the mail from BMW about my lease ending in 6 months.

no pull ahead program yet offered from the dealer.

typically they will forgive the last 5 payments if i lease a new model.

only a very attractive 2 year lease pull ahead on a base BEV will get me into a 2017 i3.

the REX and new longer range version are worthless for me.

;)

irvine BMW wep page shows they got one... can't verify though.

http://www.irvinebmw.com/vehicle/specs/bmw/i3/2017/vin/WBY1Z6C52HV547868?state=1

I doubt Irvine BMW actually has the car in their possession. Cars.com shows 30 2017 i3's nationally, but not a single one has a picture of the actual car, only stock press photos.

just saw one 2017 i3 BEV at BMW Valencia. interior/exterior looks identical to 2016.

I live in the UK. I got my i3 94Ah on 5th August 2016.

The car has been at the garage since 13th August 2016 with battery problems. Inspite of changing several parts the fault remains.

Maybe BMW are having to modify the car and this is the delay?

Spoke with my dealer today. NO 2017 i3's have been released from port yet. The EPA HAS NOT RELEASED THEM AS OF SEPT 6. They are seeking clarification as to when I will get my car. It has been in port since Aug. 25

Among other things, the cars can't be released until their EPA ratings are finalized as that's part of the Monroney sticker (that lists options/costs/EPA ratings, etc.). There could also be a last minute tweak to the software that was identified and needs to be applied. These are all speculations on the reason, but have happened in the past.

As of Thursday, Sept. 8, the "hold" on 2017's for the EPA portion of the Munroney Sticker has been lifted. Hopefully, transport of vehicles will begin tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 9. This came via my dealer. I received notice about mid day today.

I see other evidence of the hold being released as well. A poster on bimmerfest.com that works for a dealership says their first BEV showed up today, and there are now 2017 i3s on cars.com that have photos of the actual car.

Back