i Blue seat belts

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elptex

The i3 concept had them. Loved it.

The production i8 has them as an option. Jealous.

Would love to have this option in the i3! Wonder if you could order the i8 ones as a part and then have them fitted in an i3. I shall definitely be exploring this.

Sure you can.

Here is the i8 part number. The mechanism is completely different but if you're sourcing just the seat belt webbing. It is not a direct swap.

72 11 7 348 567 front left
72 11 7 348 568 front right

It would be more cost effecient to purchase just the webbing from an aftermarket source and have a qualified tailor to sew new webbing to the i3 seat belt mechanism. Just be sure the stitching is the as strong as or stronger then the original.

DanWang said:
Sure you can.

Here is the i8 part number. The mechanism is completely different but if you're sourcing just the seat belt webbing. It is not a direct swap.

72 11 7 348 567 front left
72 11 7 348 568 front right

It would be more cost effecient to purchase just the webbing from an aftermarket source and have a qualified tailor to sew new webbing to the i3 seat belt mechanism. Just be sure the stitching is the as strong as or stronger then the original.

Good points. I have no practical knowledge on seat belts so assumed they all operate pretty similarly. As with anything, cost (monetary and time) can be a deterrent.

Seat belt length and attachment points will differ, sometimes a lot, by vehicle not accounting for color choices. There is also no standard on the locking tabs other than that they must hold a certain load although most are compatible (for things like child seats, etc.).

elptex said:

Would love to have this option in the i3! Wonder if you could order the i8 ones as a part and then have them fitted in an i3. I shall definitely be exploring this.

Yeah until you spill coffee on it and realize blue shows coffee stain and black doesn't!

epirali said:
elptex said:

Yeah until you spill coffee on it and realize blue shows coffee stain and black doesn't!

Lol, that'll probably also apply t all Mega / Giga interior fabrics...

I actually looked into this back in 2014. It's possible, but ridiculously expensive. My dealer gave me a quote of a little under $1,200. I then looked into aftermarket replacement seat belts for a while, but just gave up. I'd still like to to it, but my upper limit of what I'd be willing to pay is about $500.

Back