Bonnet fails to remain closed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpaKeys

The front hood (bonnet) open indicator light displayed upon depressing the Power On button. I exit car, open the bonnet fully and close it. Upon entering the car again, the bonnet open light is displayed again. I repeat the process: exit car, open then close the bonnet, re-enter the car and the light comes back on. (Tried pushing the bonnet open button several times -just because. Did not resolve issue)

I take a chance because I HAVE to get on the road and make it safely to destination, driving VERY slowly as the bonnet starts to slightly bounce at 40+ MPH.

Interestingly enough, the collision warning light flashed several times during the process mentioned above.

Temporary Fix: I completely shut down the car, returned to demonstrate the issue to a friend, and could not replicate the anomaly . The bonnet light does not come on now.

Concern: There seems to be a rare, and very intermittent software bug in the system software. Not sure what it means. Im not losing sleep over it - just reporting FYI.

Question: Anyone else have this problem surface? THX

Did you have the Key fob in your pocket? If so you may just have been activating the button for the Frunk release inadvertently, it's a known issue and has been known for cars to have rolled down windows and wet interiors as a result, the Blue key fob cover if put on back to front can help with this.

We had experienced such an issue when our i3 was only 5 months of age on May 2015, here in İstanbul.

You can find my posts regarding the situation via this link : __ http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2763&p=25691&hilit=frunk#p25691 __

Conclusively, I paid a visit to the dealer's technical support facility and they changed the relevant indicator in a 2 days period (free of charge). Then, we never tried such a glitch anymore.

;)

Hope this info will be useful...

Interesting!! I was worried that it might be a unique problem. I appreciate your reply. I now have 'ammunition' when I take our i3 to the service department of our local dealer.

Back