YAQ : Battery Pre-conditioning

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSP

YAQ = Yet Another Question

1. Initiate charging at 8pm, car indicates full charge will be attained at 2am.
2. Using app set pre-conditioning for departure at 7:30am.
3. Assumption : Preconditioning will start at 4:30am.

Question : Will pre-conditioning take place, even if charging has completed ?
What are the indicators that battery pre-conditioning has been done ?

1. Yes, preconditioning is not dependant on what time charging completed but is dependant on having a powerful enough charger and having set a departure time (not just pressing the precondition button on the app as this is for cabin only). Mine starts charging at 1am and usually finishes between 3am and 4am. It then preconditions for the set departure time.

I am not sure why it is said that it takes 3 hours to precondition the battery. Mine seems to take about 30 mins to an hour and burns about 1 to 1.5 kwh. This is borne out by hearing the EVSE thumping into operation and by my smart meter readings which show when it cuts in. That's on an L2 7.4kw charger unit.

When I saw 3 hours posted elsewhere I thought I must be missing something in the settings like my battery wasn't preconditioning. But I get full 125 mile range and a lovely warm car in the morning so everything looks absolutely fine to me.

2. No idea, except it should have a full mileage range around 125 for the 94ah

The batteries have a fairly high thermal mass, and a few hour interval between charging them and starting preconditioning means it probably won't need to start from the ambient. Then, you have to consider what your actual ambient temperature is! There will be a big difference in when the thing starts battery warming if it is -20C verses 10C! Where I live, it can easily get colder than that. It only conditions the cabin for about the last 30-minutes. So, the actual power used will depend on the current ambient and the battery temps. FWIW, it will not try to warm the batteries if you are not on the EVSE, but will condition the cabin. If your EVSE isn't configured or capable of providing all of the power desired, you may not leave with a full battery, but it should be offset by the increased capacity of the warmer batteries. I wouldn't be surprised if the car's logic takes that into account. Also, if you have a REx, or an i3 without the heat pump (it's standard in the USA on the BEV, but may not be in other markets), all cabin heating is via resistance heaters, and your power use will be more than that on a BEV with a heat pump during preconditioning.

Back