Preconditioning question.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moserg

Is anybody knows to be able "preconditioning" car do I need technology package (BMW ConnectedDrive service) or it can be done without it?

You can still set a departure time and check the precondition box. If the car is connected to an EVSE, it will do both, but if not, it will just precondition the cabin. It's quite inexpensive to pick up a tablet (it doesn't have to be fancy or with a large screen) and just use it to setup preconditioning. As long as you have access to the internet (Wi-Fi, cellular is more expensive and an on-going charge), a cheap tablet with the free app will give you access for that. BMW has not allowed a browser webpage to do this. I'm guessing, they feel the app is more secure.

As far as I know, the departure time and preconditioning feature is standard on all i3's sold, at least in the USA.

Thanks for answer. My wife (it will be her car) has an iPhone, no big deal to install app. I just read on some forums (just for regular BMW, not i3 specifically) that people can't set precondition w/o having tech package - box just grayed out. I was wondering - in i3 ... This is I count very important to have here, in Canada for winter ;) . Just would like to confirm with people who has this. BMW dealers have given to me different answers :x ...

I'm able to set charging times, departure times, and preconditioning using the My BMW ConnectedDrive web site. Register your i3 and go to "eDrive Services"- then simply click on "Departure Times."

Hi,

Battery Preconditioning requires front seat heated seats option and predifine departure time 3 hours in advanced. Whitout this two things only cabin preconditioning is performed.

How long does the preconditioning last? So if I don't use the car, does it keep running until I do?

Also, do we know if not connected to a charger, does preconditioning help the battery vs. loss of charge?

Does the car automatically enable battery protection mode heating or cooling?

Bob Wilson

Preconditioning starts approximately 30-minutes before your departure time when you have checked the box for preconditioning as well. If you start it from the app or check the box in the car before shutdown, it also will only run for approximately 30-minutes. Doing it while connected to an EVSE does help keep the battery charge up...otherwise, it is primarily just a comfort thing. Drawing power does warm up the batteries slightly, but (and I've not measured this), I think you'll end up with a lower SOC and therefore lower range available when preconditioning without being connected to an EVSE.

Back