Cool weather, check tire pressure

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

As Fall has finally arrived, I noticed my tire pressure is about 5 psi low in the morning. It is a good time to consider topping off the tire pressure.

Bob Wilson

Any area where Fall temperature swings are large, like Wisconsin, tire pressure can be a problem. Morning temperature can be in the low 30s and the next day it can reach 75. For me I want to err on the side of over inflated versus under inflated. I checked and adjusted my tire pressures on my 2014 BEV at the start of October (warmer than normal) and now at the end of October I find pressures are up to 3 psi low.

I had nitrogen inflation done upon purchase and twice since then, but did really notice much difference so now I top off with air.

Agree with earlier posts that keeping tires properly inflated as temperatures drop, or rise, is extremely important.

Archie

FWIW, a very significant percentage of our 'normal' air is nitrogen, so one would really not expect a significant difference between plain air and 100% nitrogen...it's there, it's measurable, but IMHO, not worth the expense or effort. Industry guidelines say you should not use a tire much older than 5-years (the rubber gets harder as it ages which can lead to issues), and keeping O2 from the inside wont' make much of a difference in the shorter term and there's nothing you can do externally about it. It might be more of an issue if you lived on the coast where the relative humidity was huge or maybe in Beijing, where the air pollution is rampant, but again, probably not. The size of the molecules again is measurable, but mostly hype for the average person.

Back