charging plug can't connect intermitend

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobiassej

Have 2 BMW i3 (1 BEV / 1 BEV)

We only use one charger at home. 3.7 kWh (ratio electric 15 A) for both cars.
I've started having trouble connecting the charger-plug to the BEV. It works perfect with the REX.

It has also been a issued with connection both to public AC/DC chargers. It not always a problem but something that occurs intermittent 3-5/week with the charger at home.

As described by many of the friends in this forum I have also tried not be able to disconnect from DC charger (only twice). I think it's a problem with the locking system that I can't connect the plug intermitend.

The car is scheduled to a BMW service in 2 weeks. The BEV is 2.5 years old and warranty is only 2 years :?

Have anyone tried this before?

Bests Tobias

It can help if you add your location to your profile...the actual plug used might make a difference.

One party said that part of the issue was the locking pin was getting stuck in the channel, and the dealer was instructed to ream it out slightly. I've found that a spritz of something like WD-40 can not only displace any moisture in there (icing could be an issue this time of year) while also making things slide easier.

The CCS (DC) charging plug and cable is much heavier than the EVSE plug (AC), and might also play a part in distorting the receptacle, making it harder for the unlatch function to work. Slightly lifting up the handle when initiating the start of charging can get the control signals through the connections more reliably.

Updated my location, thanks.

As said it´s the locking not the unlocking thats the problem.

Where do you spray the WD-40 around the plug or also into the small tubes (maybe stupid to ask, sorry)?

tobiassej said:
Where do you spray the WD-40 around the plug or also into the small tubes (maybe stupid to ask, sorry)?
I'm not sure that WD40 is an international brand, but basically, it's a water displacement (WD) material that also has some lubrication properties (the 40, FWIW, is supposedly the 40th trial formulation that eventually met their design goal!).

This can help displace any moisture in the receptacle (I do it in the car's receptacle). The whole assembly is slightly flexible, and the CCS plug and cable is heavier than the EVSE plug/cable, so if all of the signals don't quite get through because of any distortion, or slight issue with moisture, the spray can help as can being careful of how you route the cable, and since the communication lines are also critical, taking any strain off of the plug/receptacle during the initial handshake can make things more reliable.

A couple of days ago, we had some heavy rain, and I noticed that mine showed a fault (flashing red). I probably should have given it a good spray at the time, but the next day, all was well.

OK, we have WD-40 here also.

I'll try it tomorrow after work.

Keep you updated in 2-3 days if it solved the problem

BMW exchanged the locking system. Now everything works again as usual. Nice they did it for free since the car i 2.5 years old.

The lock didn't close probably. BMW advised me not to use WD-40 - so never tried it out.

Back