5weeks in cold with no charge

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnTonic

Hi guys! New user here - probably one of 5-6 total in Russia... They say I'm crazy :roll: when decided to try i3. EV's are very rare here.
Anyway, I've picked one with REX this from dealer in Moscow, loaded into container and it should start its 5weeks journey this weekend all the way across Russia by railway to Sakhalin island (Pacific ocean coast, right north of Japan). I expect it will face -15 -10C (5-15F) on average during the entire trip.
I realize it will effect battery efficiency in long term, but my concern and question is how bad? Or only I can tell when start actively driving it?
I wonder how BMW and dealers hanle this issue in northen countries like Canada, Norway. Or they always provide heated storage/deliveries and/or constant charge? Thanks!

It's my understanding that during transport from the factory, they use a special transport mode. I have no idea how to turn it on or off or what may be required to get the vehicle back into normal operation.

If the 12vdc battery was fully charged prior to packing it, it should be okay. Assuming you have an EVSE, I'd plug it in as soon as I could. While the overall range is affected by a cold battery, once things warm up, it returns. You do not want to store the thing with a low charge in the cold.

All the way to Sakhalin... You are an enthusiast! Will be one of the few left hand drive cars over there, never mind the electric. Based on what I read. LiPo batteries don't suffer a permanent damage from the cold. 5 weeks in a hot container in the tropics would be worse. You should have the main battery at around 50% SOC for the journey. Not sure about the 12V one. Probably better have it charged.
Удачи!

Lead acid batteries can freeze and split if they become discharged in the extreme cold...best to ensure it is fully charged.

BMW says that for up to 3-months storage,
"...if possible plug the vehicle into a suitable power source or park it in a nearly fully charged state."

IOW, they don't expect any problem, and feel it is better, to park the thing fully charged, or to leave it constantly on the EVSE. Keep in mind that what you see on the charge meter does not represent the actual battery capacity, just what they allow you to use.

gt1 said:
Will be one of the few left hand drive cars over there, never mind the electric.
Cars drive on the right in Russia just like in North America. So unless Sakhalin is different from the rest of Russia (it is close to Japan which drives on the left side), his left hand drive car should be fine. Fixing the many REx problems could be challenging, though. Hopefully, the weak motor mount bolt has already been replaced before going to Sakhalin.

alohart said:
gt1 said:
Will be one of the few left hand drive cars over there, never mind the electric.
Cars drive on the right in Russia just like in North America. So unless Sakhalin is different from the rest of Russia (it is close to Japan which drives on the left side), his left hand drive car should be fine. Fixing the many REx problems could be challenging, though. Hopefully, the weak motor mount bolt has already been replaced before going to Sakhalin.

Thank you for all the responses, comrades! Sakhalin drives on right side like whole country but there are so many (I'd say at least 60-70%) used cars imported from Japan - with right hand steering. It's been changing during the last few years to more European and Korean brands plus some Japanese ones established their dealers with left hand official sales. No European dealers on the island thought yet. But I survive with my X5 and X3 for 5years - thanks to internet... ;)

Art,
What motor bolt did you mean? The car is not brand new, had about 9,000km already so I guess it's not an issue in my case.
Been in Aloha place few times - lovely islands for sure. Keep saving it for our next vacations :cool:

Update:
Never mind on the bolt. I found it within this forum. Will look into it when my i3 comes home. thanks anyway!

AnTonic said:
. . .
Update:
Never mind on the bolt. I found it within this forum. Will look into it when my i3 comes home. thanks anyway!
You'll find the https://www.bmwtechinfo.com is helpful. Not as much engineering data as I wanted but plenty of photos and steps to follow.

As for parts, there are a lot places selling new and used BMW i3 parts.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Back