Any visual clues between option choices?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pesky

Hi all.

As I search for a used i3, some ads do not state what options are available.
So I am left with either asking a salesman with no clue, or looking at images of the vehicles to try to guess.
In Canada, they are sold in 3 different World packages, plus there are add on options like, parking assist, tech package etc.
Any help appreciated!

Pesky!

I've been using:

Wheels to identify which world package.
Gas door on the front to identify the Rex.
Speakers on the A pillars or in the rear doors to identify Harman audio.
Full wide screen on the nav without the ugly bezel and tiny screen to identify the Tech Package.
Looking for the park assist button under the drive mode (comfort Eco Pro) selector to identify the Parking Assistant package.

Don't remember the actual site offhand but it should be easy to find...if you know the VIN, there is a decoder that will list all of the as-built functions in the car. Now, decoding all of the codes can take a bit of research as well, but doable, since they are not in plain text, but BMW order codes.

Thanks for the info on the VIN code.
Most ads do not post VIN numbers though.
If the car does not have parking assist, is the button on the console for it's operation always missing? Or do some models have the switch there but not wired?
Thanks

If you have a smart phone, you can look it up while browsing the vehicle for verification!

To have parking assist, it not only needs the switch to activate it, it must have the US sensors on both the front (standard?), the back (optional, I think), and on the sides on the fenders. BMW tends to not install switches unless they are required, but I have it on mine, and obviously, can't check via mine.

Silence said:
I've been using:

Wheels to identify which world package..

FYI this strategy only works for 2016 and older. In 2017 you can get most wheels with any world package.

alohart said:
spinball said:
Silence said:
I've been using:

Wheels to identify which world package..

FYI this strategy only works for 2016 and older.
… and only for 19" wheels since any world package could have included the optional 20" wheels.
It isn't foolproof no, but it was very useful for eliminating Mega & Giga (I wanted Terra) by looking at just one picture without opening up the full add. It is certainly possible that someone could put Mega or Giga wheels on Terra, but from the vehicles with Mega or Giga wheels that I did look at I never found it to be the case. Vehicles with the 20" wheels required looking at the interior photos (or the text if it were accurate) to identify the package. I decided I didn't want the 20's regardless of the package. There aren't too many used 2017s out there yet to confuse the issue further. Using the wheels was a useful, if not perfect, tool for determining if it was worth my time to open the add and look further.

Back