BMW i3 with REX from 2014 with 71.000miles/114.000km

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3PL

Hello,

I am new user in forum. I want to ask you for advice.
For last few months I am looking for used BMW i3 with REX.

Usually price in Poland for used BMW i3 with REX started from 140.000 PLN which is about $35.000
Last week I found a special price 90.000 PLN which is about $22.500
This is gross price so I can also have benefits with 23% of VAT if I will lease a car.

The seller is an authorised BMW dealer.

More information about car:
Produce: 2014 / Register: 2015
Model with REX
Mileage: 114.000km/71.000miles :oops:

Origin price for new model was 220.000 PLN it's about $55.000
The car is well equipped with LED headlight, park assistant, cruise control with stop function..

I know that 114.000km/71.000miles is not so much for a petrol engine, but for BMW battery?
The warranty here in Poland is for 5 years/100.000km so it's no longer valid.
In case of this dealer propose me extra 2-year warranty for the car - exclude batteries and don't want to offer any warranty for batteries.

You are better experienced then me, so please answer my questions:
- Is that mileage is ok and I shouldn't worry about it? (I make about 8000km per year)
- Is there any good way to check the battery, can you advice me how to check the condition of the battery?

The worst thing is that car is now unregistered so it doesn't have a register plate and insurance, so dealer can't offer me a test-drive. They said that I can drive it only when I pay for the car and they get the plates and insurance then. In my option if there is something wrong with the batteries - then it will be to late for have any complaints about battery condition after I made a payment.
Of course dealer offer me a test-drive with a newest i3 :roll:

Another this is that if car was registered in 2015 and did 114.000km, so simple maths shows that..

114.000km : 2 year = 114.000km : 700 days = 162km(101miles) per day, EVERY day
Is that possible? I ask BMW dealer to ask first owner of the car -can I contact with her to ask a few questions, but they said that they can't do this in case of special procedures :roll:
From this what I know she (first owner) left the car as self deposit and take newest BMW i# with 94Ah

I really want to buy this car, but I don't want to have a problems with batteries. I will appreciate your advices.

Thank you

I don't recall reading of a single i3 battery pack that had to be replaced because of degradation or that is suffering from degradation that is insufficient for the battery pack to be replaced under warranty. There are a few i3's that have been driven as far as the one you would like to buy but no one has reported noticeably reduced range due to battery pack degradation. With a battery pack temperature management system unlike the Leaf or eGolf, and with its battery pack management system preventing overcharging or overdischarging, an i3's battery pack seems to be very reliable and long-lasting.

I am surprised that a BMW dealer would not allow you to test drive this i3. That seems fishy unless this is common in Poland. Car dealers in many countries have special dealer registration plates that can be installed on their cars to allow them to be test driven.

jadnashuanh said:
I would want to access the service menu to view the current battery state. If it is still relatively high, it probably isn't an issue.
I had planned to suggest looking at the Kapa. Batt. max value in the hidden service menu, but in my experience, these values have varied by ~2 kWh for no apparent reason thus reducing the significance of a single reading. Nevertheless, your instructions for accessing the service menu would allow the O.P. to gather some information as long as he understands the limitations of a single reading.

Back