2017 REX - Check Engine Light still an issue?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappymcgee

I'm into my second month with the i3 and took my first road trip this weekend. During the trip, the "Check Engine" light came on, I believe when I first hit the REX. It's my first time actually "using" the REX (it did a maintenance cycle when I drove it home from the dealer), and the light continued to come on, and then turn itself off over the course of 2 200 mile days. I completely charged the car last night, and when my wife drove it the light came on, then went off shortly thereafter. Nothing was present in the "Check control" screen.

Should I be worried? I saw lots of comments about this being a problem early on with the i3, but nothing that's current.

We had much the same thing happen to our 2015 i3 REx. I attributed it to the -20C and colder temperature we were experiencing.

Our check engine light hasn't come back since temperature has warmed up. Hopefully this isn't a mistake.

Some have said that it's an issue with condensation, which may be worse when it's colder and the dew point is easier to achieve. Actually forcing the REx to run for awhile may mean that the added heat will dry things out. Other than an annoyance, in most cases, it's not a catastrophic failure.

Back