Just bought a 2014 CPO Rex in so cal..

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter333

Hi I just bought my 2014 CPO Rex on Monday. It's my first plug in car. I'm switching from a 2004 Prius I bought 8 years ago. I'm going to have many questions since it's also my first BMW. Are there any local Rex owners here in Southern California?

With the Prius I was active years ago on Priuschat.com which although it wasn't operated by Toyota, it was the largest Prius owners online group. I'm wondering if this being the official site through BMW, is it the largest i3 owners online group? Either way, can anyone please tell me which i3 groups online other then this have any merit and if so is one better then the other for certain things? Such as I noticed this one doesn't want anybody posting things for sale. I get that we don't want to be littered with spammers, but what if we're looking for an aftermarket item and someone says get the blah blah at auto zone, will that be flagged?

I'm sure I'll have many questions I already have some but I noticed on Priuschat when I mention the things I'm less concerned with it can get me responses to them at the expense of my main concern so I'll try to postpone asking little questions for now. Looking forward to hearing back from my fellow Rex owners.

Take care

Welcome! I sold my 2004 Prius 3 years ago and bought a 2014 i3 Rex. The i3 is a fantastic car - although more recall issues than experienced with my Prius back in 2004 (even though it was the first year for that model). I don't know if this is the best site to share i3 issues - I look forward to hearing from others on this.

First off, welcome to the forum. My BMW i3-REx experience:
https://priuschat.com/threads/why-the-bmw-i3-rex.165584/

If we could start over, I probably would have gone with a Prius Prime. After a motor mount bolt break in December, I bought a 2017 Prius Prime which serves as our backup to the BMW i3-REx. But now that I have a receiver hitch on the Prius Prime, the one unique feature of the BMW i3-REx is gone.

In May, my wife and I will do our first 700 mile trip in the Prius Prime and be able to compare and contrast with the BMW i3-REx. But my first 1,200 mile, delivery drive home was 21 hours and positive:
  • 600 miles first tank
  • 699 miles second tank
  • 55.7 MPG using dynamic cruise control following high-balling trucks

Around town, the BMW i3-REx is king but not so great on long distance trips. They can be done but there are lots of short, fuel stops. On the highway, the Prius Prime appears to be the way to go. Around town, the Prius Prime works fine for three stop trips but any more and you need to stop at L2 chargers.

Bob Wilson

Hunter333 said:
I'm wondering if this being the official site through BMW, is it the largest i3 owners online group? Either way, can anyone please tell me which i3 groups online other then this have any merit and if so is one better then the other for certain things?
This is a private forum. The official BMW i car forum is at bmwiforum.bmwusa.com.

This forum must be one of the largest i3 owners' online forum. For those who don't mind Facebook's intrusion on one's privacy, there is an active i3 Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/. I find this forum to be much better than the Facebook group for searching about certain topics, but the Facebook group is more active which means that advice for a problem is provided very quickly. But then one needs to wade through the usual "social" postings about which I don't care.

The official BMW forum isn't nearly as active as this forum or the Facebook group. Some BMW employees are members, but they don't post much or help much with problems. Many of the post topics there are covered in this forum or in the Facebook group.

There are also several blogs managed by i3 owners, but a blog isn't designed to allow anyone but the blogger to make posts, so a blog serves a different purpose. Some valuable information is posted on these blogs, but references to these posts are frequently made in this forum or the Facebook group.

Hunter333 said:
Such as I noticed this one doesn't want anybody posting things for sale.
Things for sale by private individuals can be posted in this section of this forum: www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Hunter333 said:
I get that we don't want to be littered with spammers, but what if we're looking for an aftermarket item and someone says get the blah blah at auto zone, will that be flagged?
No

Hunter333 said:
Looking forward to hearing back from my fellow Rex owners.
We BEV owners have a few things to say as well :)

Back